|Agency||Cottonwood Heights Utah Police Department|
|Last Known Status||Separated|
|Agency||Herriman Utah Police Department|
|Dates of Service||August 2018 - November 2021|
|Last Known Status||Retired|
2019 Life Saving Award
In 2019, Davies received the Life Saving Award from the Herriman City Council.
2018 Death of Zane James
Davies attempted to pull James over, but he fled. Davies used his patrol vehicle to hit James, who crashed.
James ran away and kept moving his hands through his clothing and pockets, ignoring officers' commands to stop and show his hands. Davies fired, striking James.
James died at a local hospital a few days after the incident.
Davies was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.
In May 2019, James' family filed a lawsuit against the department, alleging the use of excessive force.
In October 2019, the District Attorney ruled that Davies' use of force was justified.
In February 2022, the District Attorney reopened the case.
On May 27, 2022, the District Attorney announced that they had found evidence of a crash, but no evidence that Davies was justified in hitting James with his vehicle. There was not enough evidence to press charges against Davies.
On July 1, 2022, the city announced a settlement with the family for $4 million.
- Casey Davies, City Of Cottonwood Heights, govSalaries
- Casey Davies, LinkedIn
- Casey Davies A, Police Sergeant, City of Herriman, govSalaries
- Officer Casey Davies receiving the Life Saving Award, twitter, 2019-11-13
- Alex Carbero, Body cam footage released of shooting involving Cottonwood Heights officer, KSL-TV, 2018-06-13
- Kayla Winn, $4M settlement reached in lawsuit with family of Cottonwood Heights teen killed by police, KUTV, 2022-07-01
- Matt Rascon, Sim Gill finds use of force ‘not justified’ before shooting of Zane James, KSL-TV, 2022-05-27
- Paighten Harkins, Salt Lake County prosecutors decline to charge police officer who fatally shot teenage armed robbery suspect, Salt Lake Tribune, 2018-10-09
- 18x003056 11-50 Minute Media Relase, CHPD Police