Casey Goodson Jr. (2020)
On December 4, 2020, Franklin County Ohio Sheriff's Office Deputy Jason Meade was working with the U.S. Marshals to locate a violent offender. Goodson was not the subject of the search. Through his lawyer, Meade claimed to have seen Goodson point a handgun at another driver.
Meade was placed on leave after shooting.
On December 7, 2020, the Mayor of Columbus announced that the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI) had taken over the investigation.
On December 7, 2020, the BCI announced that they had refused to investigate the case, as "so much time has passed".
On December 8, 2020, the U.S. Attorney's Office announced that it and the Department of Justice and the FBI would review the case.
On July 2, 2021, Meade left the sheriff's office on disability retirement.
On December 2, 2021, Meade was indicted on two counts of murder and one count of reckless homicide.
On December 2, 2021, Goodson's family filed a lawsuit, alleging Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment violations including excessive force, wrongful death, and that the county could have prevented the shooting at many stages of Meade's employment.
There is no body-worn camera footage as Franklin County Sheriff's task force officers are not issued body cameras.
- Falycia Campbell, Columbus police release statement on initial findings following officer-involved shooting, ABC 6, 2020-12-06
- John Futty, Former deputy Jason Meade indicted on murder charges in death of Casey Goodson Jr., Columbus Dispatch, 2-21=12=-2
- Sarah Wynn, Former Franklin County Sheriff's deputy charged with murder of Casey Goodson Jr., ABC 6, 2021-12-02
- Former Franklin County Sheriff's deputy charged with murder for fatal shooting of Casey Goodson Jr., WBNS 10, 2021-12-02
- Tweet by Mayor Ginther, twitter.com, 2020-12-07
- BCI declines to investigate case of man fatally shot by Franklin County deputy, WBNS 10, 2020-12-04
- Federal authorities to review shooting of Casey Goodson, U.S. Attorney's Office, 2020-12-08
- Jarrod Clay, Franklin County deputy who shot, killed Casey Goodson Jr. to retire on July 2, ABC 6, 2021-06-04
- Estate of Casey Goodson, Jr. vs Franklin County, U.S. District Court, 2021-12-02