|Agency||Brighton Colorado Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Ended January 2022.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2021 Deaths of Dulce Castro and Gustavo Mosqueda
On October 26, 2021, Hundley was dispatched to a report of a suspicious vehicle. Hundley found Nicholas Villarini and a passenger, who were sleeping in a stolen car in a residential neighborhood. Hundley gathered the vehicle occupant's information and waited in his patrol vehicle for backup. When another officer arrived and attempted to block in the stolen vehicle, Villarini sped away, with officers in pursuit. Villarini's car struck another vehicle, killing the passenger, Dulce Castro. Villarini continued, and Gustavo Mosqueda was struck and killed.
Villarini was arrested on charges including two counts of first-degree murder.
On October 26, 2021, Hundley was placed on paid administrative leave.
In January 2022, an external investigation determined that there was no reason to chase Villarini, as "there was no violent felony crime being committed or other act of violence that required the suspect to be immediately pursued".
In Feburary 2022, the Colorado State Patrol completed its investigation, which has not been publically released.
- Lori Gliha, Police officer fired after deadly pursuit in Brighton, FOX 31, 2022-03-30
- Michael Konopasek, Police: Suspect in stolen car flees from police, kills 2 bystanders, FOX 31, 2021-10-26
- Policy Manual - Vehicle Pursuits, Brighton Police Department
- What happened before the Brighton police chase that left two dead, FOX 31, 2022-03-30
- Two killed in Brighton crash, FOX 31, 2021-10-26