Jayland Walker (2022)
On June 27, 2022, Akron Ohio Police Department officers attempted to stop Walker for a minor traffic violation. Walker fled. Police say that Walker fired at them during the resultant chase. Walker eventually fled his car on foot. Multiple Taser deployments were attempted, but were ineffective. Eight officers fired their handguns, and Walker was pronounced dead at the scene.
A gun was recovered from Walker's vehicle.
The officers involved were placed on paid administrative leave.
The names of the officers involved have not been released.
On August 25, 2022, additional body-worn camera video was released. This video shows more of the events after the shooting, including officers checking on each other's conditions and rendering aid to Walker. Some officers muted or turned off their cameras, which is allowed by policy after they are finished with a citizen contact. Video shows that officers were not sequestered immediately after the shooting.
On September 19, 2022, additional video was released, showing a group of officers who arrived just before the shooting.
No pages meet these criteria.
- City of Akron Press Conference, 2022-07-03
- Akron Police Critical Incident Video Release 22-78920, 2022-07-03
- Stephanie Warsmith, Jayland Walker had 46 entrance wounds and died from 'devastating injuries,' examiner says, Akron Beacon Journal, 2022-07-15
- Doug Livingston, Jayland Walker case: Akron releases longer officer videos of shooting death, aftermath, Akron Beacon Journal, 2022-08-26
- Akron Police Critical Incident Video Release 22-78920, Akron Police Video Release, 2022-07-03
- Body camera footage shows fatal police shooting of Jayland Walker, CBS News, 2022-07-04
- Jack Shea, New videos released in Jayland Walker police shooting, FOX8, 2022-09-19