Swires had no prior disciplinary actions with the department.
2020 Hit and Run
Swires fled the scene of the crash without exchanging information or checking on the well being of the bus driver or the passengers. Swires did not request a supervisor to respond to the scene, and failed to immediately report the incident to a supervisor.
When Swires did report the crash, he omitted that he had consumed numerous alcoholic beverages and that he left the scene of a crash. He later failed to complete the necessary forms following the crash and omittted the misconduct when he did file the forms.
On July 23, 2021, the department held an administrative pre-disciplinary hearing after an internal investigation where several policy violations were detailed. Swires pleaded no contest to the charges involving the drinking and subsequent crash, and failing to call a supervisor to the scene. He pleaded not guilty to omitting misconduct in his verbal report and on his required forms.
The Cleveland Police Association union plans to appeal the firing.
Swires was charged with failure to stop after an accident, failure to exchange information, and speeding that prevented an assured clear distance.
- Camryn Justice, Cleveland police officer terminated for drinking, fleeing scene of crash with RTA bus, News 5 Cleveland, 2021-09-24
- Olivia Mitchell, Cleveland police officer fired after admitting to drinking before off-duty crash with RTA bus, cleveland.com, 2021-09-24
- Mason Swires Patrol Officer City of Cleveland, GovSalaries, 2019
- Karrie Howard, Termination Letter, City of Cleveland, 2021-09-22
- Cleveland Police Officer Terminated From Employment, City of Cleveland News Updates, 2021-09-24