|Agency||Orange County California Sheriff's Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired approximately 2012.|
|Last Known Status||Administrative Leave|
2018 Arrest of Mohamed Sayem
On August 19, 2018, Sayem was passed out in his car in an alley. Devitt approached Sayem to determine his condition. Deputy Eric Ota arrived as backup. As Devitt and Sayem talked at the open driver's door, Devitt told Sayem to not get out of the car and attempted to restrain him in the vehicle. Sayem objected, and the incident turned violent. Devitt pulled Sayem from the vehicle and punched him several times. Devitt and Ota took Sayem to the ground and handcuffed him. The deputies talked to Sayem while they waited for an ambulance. When Sayem asked, "Are you going to shoot me?", Ota replied, "I'd like to".
At the scene, Devitt described that Sayem had tried to bear hug him, which required the use of force. In Devitt's written report, he doesn't mention the bear hug, but claimed that Sayem had grabbed onto his vest.
The incident was recorded by the officer's dash camera.
Sayem pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The department issued a statement that "the deputy used force appropriate for the situation to gain control of an uncooperative, assaultive and intoxicated person".
On October 19, 2018, the Sheriff released a video statement, describing it as "an appriopriate use of force".
On August 13, 2019, Sayem filed a lawsuit against the county.
In September 2020, the District Attorney dropped the felony charge against Sayem.
Sayem pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of delaying an officer.
On May 10, 2022, the County Board of Supervisors approved a payment of $250,000 to settle the excessive force complaint.
2020 Unknown Incident
Devitt was placed on administrative leave.
- Tony Saavedra, OC deputy who punched apparently drunk man is under criminal investigation, Orange County Register, 2020-08-27
- Michael Devitt, Deputy Sheriff, Orange County, govSalaries
- Tony Saavedra, Man pummeled by OC sheriff’s deputy to get $250,000 settlement, Orange County Register, 2022-05-11
- Eric Wolfgang, Orange County Sheriff's Department defends deputy seen repeatedly punching DUI suspect in dash-cam footage, ABC News, 2018-10-20
- Ben Brazil, 2018 O.C. beating back in spot-light, Los Angeles Times, 2020-09-30
- OC Sheriff's dashcam video, Orange County Register, 2018-10-18
- Statement from Sheriff Hutchens on August 19th Arrest in Stanton, OC Sheriff, 2018-10-19
- MOHAMED SAYEM VS. COUNTY OF ORANGE, unicourt