Quadry Sanders (2021)

From LEO Ratings

leoratings.com is celebrating our 1-year anniversary of researching incidents involving law enforcement officers in the U.S. We've reported on 277 incidents involving 338 officers from 195 agencies in 42 states. Please help us by following, liking, commenting, retweeting/sharing, and telling a friend to spread the word!


On December 5, 2021, the Lawton Oklahoma Police Department received a report that a man was inside a house in violation of a protective order and was waving a gun around.[1]

Police arrived and learned that the man was Sanders and he was preventing someone from leaving the house.[2]

Police set up a perimeter, and tried to reach people in the house on their cell phones and via a loud speaker. Sanders came out of the house with his hands at his side, holding a basecall cap. Officer Robert Hinkle ordered Sanders to show his hands. Sanders stepped to the side, and was obscured by a refrigerator on the patio. Sanders put his hands up just before Hinkle fired.[2][1]

Sanders fell, and Hinkle kept ordering him to show his hands. Sanders sat up with his hands raised, and both Hinkle and Officer Nathan Ronan fired. A total of 15 rounds were fired, with 12 hitting Sanders.[1]

Hinkle dragged Sanders away from the house and handcuffed him while other officers secured the house. Officers provided medical aid after two minutes.[1]

Sanders died en route to the hospital.[2]

On December 6, 2021, Hinkle and Ronan were placed on administrative leave.[3]

On December 6, 2021, the shooting investigation was turned over to the Oklahoma State Bureau Of Investigation (OSBI).[3]

On January 7, 2022, after the department completed their own internal investigation, both officers were fired.[2]

On February 22, 2022, the OSBI released their report to the Comanche County District Attorney's Office.[2]

On May 6, 2022, the District Attorney determined that "the shooting of Quadry Sanders was not justified" and charged Hinkle and Ronan with first-degree manslaughter.[2][1]


Hinkle and Ronan were wearing body-worn cameras.[2] Part of the footage was released by the city.[4]

Officers Involved

Official Reports

Additional Sources