|Agency||Chicago Illinois Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Ended September 15, 2022.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
By June 6, 2018, Thrasher had received a Problem Solving Award, two Attendance Recognition Awards, 11 Honorable Mentions, one Department Commendation, and one 2019 Crime Reduction Award. Thrasher had no sustained disciplinary history in the prior five years.
2018 Death of Maurice Granton Jr.
On June 6, 2018, officers attempted to stop Granton after believing that he took part in a drug transaction. Granton ran, and Thrasher and another officer pursued him. As Granton was scaling a fence, Thrasher claimed to see a gun and fired, killing Granton.
Thrasher was placed on administrative leave for 30 days after the shooting.
On June 6, 2018, the Civilian Office for Police Accountability (COPA) opened an investigation.
On June 7, 2018, the incident was reviewed by supervisor Ernest Spradley, who stated that Thrasher had been fired upon and his use of force was in compliance with policies and procedures.
In 2018, Grafton's family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the city.
On November 30, 2020, COPA finished their investigation. The report stated that Grafton's firearm had discharged inside his pants as he ran, and he had discarded it before he reached the fence. COPA found that the use of deadly force was unjustified and outside of department policy, and recommended that Thrasher be fired.
On August 6, 2021, Thrasher was charged by the department with unlawful or unnecessary use of a weapon, incompetency or inefficiency in the performance of duty, disobeying an order or directive, and bringing discredit to the department.
On September 15, 2022, the Chicago Police Board fired Thrasher, finding that the use of force was not necessary.
- Chicago Police Board votes to fire officer who fatally shot man in 2018, FOX 32, 20222-09-16
- Sheldon Thrasher, Police Officer, City of Chicago Department of Finance, govSalaries
- Marisa Rodriguez, Chicago police officer fired over deadly shooting, WGN, 2022-09-16
- COPA CONCLUDES INVESTIGATION INTO THE FATAL OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTING OF MAURICE GRANTON JR., COPA, 2020-12-15
- Family Of Man Killed By Police Claim He Was Unarmed, Shot In Back, CBS News, 2018-06-07
- Bodycam footage shows Chicago police shooting Maurice Granton Jr, Daily Mail, 2018-07-26
- Log# 1089772, COPA, 2018-07-25
- Tactical Response Report, Chicago Police Department, 2018-06-07
- Family Of Maurice Granton Jr. Sues City Over Fatal Police Shooting, CBS News, 2018-07-30
- Summary Report Investigation, COPA, 2020-11-30
- Chicago Police Officer Sheldon Thrasher Faces Potential Firing In Fatal 2018 Shooting Of Maurice Granton Jr., CBS News, 2021-08-07