Andre Hill (2020)
On December 22, 2020, Columbus Ohio Division of Police Officers Adam Coy and Amy Detweiler were dispatched to a "non-emergency" disturbance call from a neighbor who allegedly saw a man sitting in an SUV for an extended period of time turning his car on and off. Neither officer activated their body worn cameras on arrival, in violation of department policy. Video with no sound is available for one minute before activation.
The video shows Andre Hill emerging from a garage and holding up a cellphone in his left hand. Hill's right hand is not visible. Coy appeared to retreat and fire his service weapon. Officers at the scene did not provide medical assistance for several minutes after the shooting. Hill was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. Coy shot Hill four times, according to an autopsy.
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation handled the criminal investigation of Hill's death.
On December 26, 2020, the department concluded its internal investigation, and charged Coy with two policy violations of not turning on his body camera and not providing first aid in a timely manner.
On December 28, 2020, Coy was fired from the department for violating department policies.
On Feb 2, 2021, Coy was indicted by a grand jury and arrested on charges of murder in the commission of a felony (a felony), felonious assault (felony of the second degree), and two counts of dereliction of duty (misdemeanors of the second degree).
On April 28, 2021, a charge of reckless homicide (felony of the third degree) was added and the prosecution dropped the charges of dereliction of duty.
On May 4, 2021, the City of Columbus agreed to pay $10 million in a pre-trial settlement of the use-of-force case.
- Officer Coy body worn camera footage Note there is no audio in the initial part of the video because the officer hadn’t activated the body camera; an automatic "look back" feature captured the shooting without audio.
- Officer Detweiler body worn camera footage
- Additional footage
- Internal Investigation 2020-12-26
- Meredith Deliso, Columbus, Ohio officer who shot unarmed Black man fired as family demands justice, 6 ABC, 2020-12-29
- Columbus police officer Adam Coy fired in fatal shooting of Andre' Hill, 10 WBNS, 2020-12-28
- City Of Columbus To Pay $10 Million In Settlement With Family Of Andre Hill, NPR, 2021-05-14
- Administrative Investigation of Officer Adam Coy, Division of Police, 2020-12-26
- Amir Vera, Ohio grand jury indicts Columbus officer who fatally shot Andre Hill, state attorney general says, CNN, 2021-02-02
- Former Columbus police officer Adam Coy pleads not guilty to reckless homicide charge in shooting of Andre' Hill, 10 WBNS, 2021-04-28
- Becky Sullivan, City Of Columbus To Pay $10 Million In Settlement With Family Of Andre Hill, NPR, 2021-05-14