Brandon Lopez (2021)
On September 28, 2021, an Anaheim California Police Department officer completed a stolen vehicle report, where the victim knew the subject to be Lopez. The officer ran a check and found that Lopez had outstanding warrants for several armed robberies, domestic violence, and driving on a suspended license. The stolen vehicle was equipped with a GPS tracker and officers located it in Santa Ana. When officers approached Lopez, he led them on a high-speed pursuit through multiple cities. Anaheim police decided to end the ground pursuit and track the vehicle from their helicopter. Santa Ana California Police Department officers reengaged the pursuit, which ended when Lopez's car stalled in a construction zone. Lopez refused police orders to exit the vehicle. A Santa Ana tactical vehicle was used to block Lopez's car and position officers to observe Lopez. During a three-hour standoff, a Santa Ana officer reported seeing a gun in Lopez's hand. The Anaheim SWAT team responded and took control of the scene. Officers were notified by Lopez's family that he intended to commit suicide by cop. The SWAT team deployed a flash-bang and tear gas to force Lopez from the vehicle. When he emerged, police saw an object in his hand that they believed to be a gun. Anaheim officers Catalin Panov, Kenneth Weber, Paul Delgado, and Brett Heitmann fired, killing Lopez.
On November 23, 2021, Lopez's family filed a claim against the city and officers involved in the shooting. Filing a claim is required before filing a lawsuit.
Anaheim patrol and SWAT officers are equipped with body-worn cameras. Some footage is shown in the Incident Briefing.
- Anaheim Police Department Critical Incident Briefing, Anaheim PD Youtube, 2021-11-12
- Caitlin Antonios, Anaheim police release video of September fatal shooting of Santa Ana man, OC Register, 2021-11-12
- Nathaniel Percy, Anaheim police fatally shoot robbery suspect in Santa Ana, OC Register, 2021-11-29
- Ben Brazil, Anaheim police mistook plastic bottle in bag for a gun in fatal shooting of councilman’s cousin, Los Angeles Times, 2021-11-18
- Family Files Legal Claim in Man’s Killing by Anaheim PD, My News LA, 2021-11-23