Corey Jones (2015)
On October 18, 2015, Palm Beach Gardens Florida Police Department Officer Nouman Raja was working undercover when he stopped to help Jones, whose vehicle had broken down. Raja did not identify himself as a police officer. Jones, who had a concealed weapons permit, pulled his gun, prompting Raja to pull his and shoot Jones, killing him.
On June 1, 2016, Raja was arrested and charged with Attempted First Degree Murder with a Firearm, which is a Life Felony punishable by up to life in prison, and Manslaughter by Culpable Negligence, which is a second degree felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
On July 6, 2016, Jones' family sued Raja and the department, accusing the city of negligence, battery, and use of force, and Raja of battery and use of excessive force.
On November 12, 2016, Raja was fired.
On March 7, 2019, Raja was convicted of manslaughter while armed and attempted first-degree murder. Raja was the first Florida law enforcement officer in 30 years to be convicted of an on-duty shooting.
On April 25, 2019, Raja was sentenced to 25 years for each charge, to be served concurrently.
Raja appealed, claiming that a defendant should not be convicted of both manslaughter and attempted murder in the shooting of a single person.
There was no dashboard camera footage of the incident. No Palm Beach Gardens officers used body-mounted cameras at the time.
Raja v State Respondent's Brief 2021-09-08
- Peter Burke, Florida Supreme Court rejects appeal of Nouman Raja conviction, WPTV, 2021-11-09
- Marc Freeman, The Corey Jones killing: What you need to know for ex-cop's trial, Sun Sentinel, 2019-02-13
- Victoria Price, Ex-cop Nouman Raja arrested in fatal shooting of church musician Corey Jones, CBS 12, 2016-06-01
- Gary Detman, Family of Corey Jones files wrongful death lawsuit, CBS12, 2016-07-06
- Marc Freeman, Wrongful death lawsuit adds claims against ex-cop Raja, city, Sun Sentinel, 2016-09-16
- Terry Spencer, Jury finds Nouman Raja guilty of manslaughter and attempted first-degree murder, WPTV, 2019-03-07
- Michelle QuesadaFormer police officer Nouman Raja sentenced in 2015 shooting death of Corey Jones, WPTV, 2019-04-25
- Scott Sutton, Ex-Palm Beach Gardens officer Nouman Raja loses appeal in Corey Jones killing, WPTV, 2021-04-28
- Raja v State, District Court of Appeal of the State of Florida Fourth District, 2021-03-28
- Raja v State Respondent's Brief, Florida Supreme Court, 2021-09-08
- Raja v State Opinion, Florida Supreme Court, 2021-11-05
- Jon Swaine, Corey Jones shooting: officer involved had previous suspension threat, The Guardian, 2015-10-20