James Hodges (2022)
On October 31, 2022, Columbia County Florida Sheriff's Office Deputy Jayme Gohde stopped Hodges to investigate an item in his back pocket as he was walking. Sergeant Randy Harrison also responded. Hodges showed the deputies that the item was a folding cane. Hodges refused the deputies' requests to identify himself. The deputies handcuffed Hodges, searched him for ID, and ran his information through dispatch. As Hodges continued to demand the deputies' identification, Harrison chose to arrest him for resisting an officer.
The incident was captured on Gohde's body-worn camera.
On November 3, 2022, the department opened an internal investigation.
On November 7, 2022, the charges against Hodges were dropped.
On November 8, 2022, the department finished their internal investigation. Harrison was demoted and suspended for seven days without pay. Gohde was suspended for two days without pay.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Aaron Adelson, Video of legally blind man's arrest after jury duty troubles Columbia County Sheriff, CBS 4, 2022-11-07
- ↑ Alex Galbraith, Florida deputies arrest blind man for carrying cane, CL Tampa, 2022-11-07
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 CCSO investigating blind man’s arrest, Lake City Reporter, 2022-11-07
- ↑ Columbia County Sheriff suspends deputies who arrested legally blind man with cane, CBS 4, 2022-11-08
- ↑ Please see the following message from Sheriff Hunter regarding the arrest of James Hodges, Columbia County Sheriff's Office, 2022-11-08
Recent articles: Anthony Nigro, Curtis Tyra, Wallace Simmons, Derick Chandler, Scott Birney