Morgan Blake (2019)
On July 16, 2019, Louisiana State Police Senior Trooper Justin Morris stopped Blake for failing to maintain his lane. Blake refused to allow a search of his vehicle, and Trooper Jacob Brown and his K-9 were called. The dog alerted to the presence of narcotics in the vehicle. Troopers Randall Dickerson and William Martin arrived to assist.
Troopers searched the vehicle, and a large amount of hidden drugs were found. Brown handcuffed Blake, who complained that the handcuffs were aggravating an old injury and causing him pain. Brown refused to adjust the handcuffs and repeatedly stated, "I don't care". Brown pushed Blake against a police car and threw him to the ground.
Dickerson was shown hitting Blake five times "towards his head and administering a knee strike to his body".
Dickerson's body-worn camera was powered off just before he struck Blake.. The incident was captured by another officer's body-worn camera.
Blake was charged with felony possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, resisting an officer with violence, aggravated battery, and improper lane use.
Investigators found that the officers gave untruthful statements, claiming that Blake kicked and resisted. These claims were not substantiated by the video. The use of force by Dickerson was not reported or documented by the officers, and was determined to be "not reasonable and necessary".
On January 22, 2021, Dickerson was placed on administrative leave.
On February 8, 2021, Brown and Dickerson were charged with simple battery and malfeasance in office.
On March 10, 2021, Brown, who was also involved in the Aaron Bowman and Antonio Harris incidents, resigned.
On March 28, 2021, Dickerson resigned.
On July 15, 2021, Blake filed a lawsuit against officers Brown, Dickerson, Martin, and Morris for violation of his Constitutional rights under the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments.
On December 16, 2021, a judge dismissed Blake's lawsuit for filing after a one-year statute of limitations and for failure "to state a claim upon which relief can be granted".
The incident was captured on body-worn and in-vehicle cameras.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 TRO and Support, LA Boards Commission, 2021-03-04
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Perry Robinson, Details of July 2019 incident that led to LSP excessive force arrest, KSLA, 2021-02-10
- ↑ Jim Mustian, 'Gonna be sore:' Louisiana troopers boasted of beating Black man, WCTI, 2021-03-12
- ↑ Lester Duhe, Louisiana State Police release new details behind arrests of four troopers, KPLC, 2021-02-08
- ↑ Monroe-area state trooper resigns following multiple arrests involving excessive force, KNOE, 2021-03-12
- ↑ Matthew Segura, Louisiana state trooper resigns after excessive force arrest, KNOE, 2021-04-05
- ↑ Blake v Brown Complaint, Civ. ACTION 3:21-02046, U.S. District Court, 2021-07-15
- ↑ Blake v Brown Judgement, Civ. ACTION 3:21-02046, U.S. District Court, 2021-12-16
- ↑ Blake Morgan Arrest Video
Recent articles: Michael Pessoa, Caleb Savage, Matthew Willet, Thomas Degenstein, Elmer Lopez-Castaneda (2023)