Quadry Sanders (2021)

From LEO Ratings
Facebook logoTwitter logoReddit logo


Officer-involved Shooting LPD 12-5-2021

On December 5, 2021, the Lawton Oklahoma Police Department received a report that a man was inside a house in violation of a protective order and was waving a gun around.[1]

Police arrived and learned that the man was Sanders and he was preventing someone from leaving the house.[2]

Police set up a perimeter, and tried to reach people in the house on their cell phones and via a loud speaker. Sanders came out of the house with his hands at his side, holding a baseball cap. Officer Robert Hinkle ordered Sanders to show his hands. Sanders stepped to the side, and was obscured by a refrigerator on the patio. Sanders put his hands up just before Hinkle fired.[2][1]

Sanders fell, and Hinkle kept ordering him to show his hands. Sanders sat up with his hands raised, and both Hinkle and Officer Nathan Ronan fired. A total of 15 rounds were fired, with 12 hitting Sanders.[1]

Hinkle dragged Sanders away from the house and handcuffed him while other officers secured the house. Officers provided medical aid after two minutes.[1]

Sanders died en route to the hospital.[2]

On December 6, 2021, Hinkle and Ronan were placed on administrative leave.[3]

On December 6, 2021, the shooting investigation was turned over to the Oklahoma State Bureau Of Investigation (OSBI).[3]

On January 7, 2022, after the department completed their own internal investigation, both officers were fired.[2]

On February 22, 2022, the OSBI released their report to the Comanche County District Attorney's Office.[2]

On May 6, 2022, the District Attorney determined that "the shooting of Quadry Sanders was not justified" and charged Hinkle and Ronan with first-degree manslaughter.[2][1]

The officers appealed their termination, and arbitrators ruled that the officers acted within their training and must be reinstated with back pay. The agency can appeal.[4]

The charge against Ronan was reduced to shooting with intent to kill after it was determined that the bullets he fired did not strike Sanders.[5][6]

A judge denied the officers' "Stand Your Ground" defense, saying that their use of force was not to prevent great bodily harm, as Sanders had not shown a weapon or attacked the officers.[6]


Hinkle and Ronan were wearing body-worn cameras.[2] Part of the footage was released by the city.[7]

Officers Involved

Public Comments