Yareni Rios-Gonzalez (2022)
On September 16, 2022, a 911 caller reported that a woman had been tailgating their vehicle and had displayed a gun. Platteville Colorado Police Department Sergeant Pablo Vazquez located Rios-Gonzalez's car and stopped her just past a set of railroad tracks, leaving Vazquez's vehicle on the the tracks at the crossing. Rios-Gonzalez was handcuffed and Fort Lupton Colorado Police Department Officer Jordan Steinke placed her in Vazquez's vehicle, which was later struck by a train.
Rios-Gonzalez suffered nine broken ribs, a fractured sternum, a broken arm, and a broken leg.
Rios-Gonzalez was charged with felony menacing.
Steinke was placed on administrative leave.
In October 2022, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation completed their investigation and sent the results to the District Attorney.
Vazquez was charged with five misdemeanor counts of Reckless Endangerment, and one count each of Obstructing Highway or Other Passageway, Careless Driving, and Parking Where Prohibited.
Steinke was charged with felonies for Criminal Attempt to Commit Manslaughter and Second Degree Assault, and a misdemeanor for Reckless Endangerment.
In December 2022, Vazquez was fired.
Rios-Gonzalez filed a lawsuit against the officers.
On February 23, 2023, the District Attorney dropped the second-degree felony assault charge against Steinke.
On March 2, 2023, Steinke pleaded not guilty.
On June 30, 2023, Rios-Gonzalez pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor menacing charge and received a one-year deferred sentence.
On July 28, 2023, Steinke was found guilty of reckless endangerment and third-degree assault. The judge said the prosecutor did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Steinke "knowingly intended to harm" and found her not guilty of attempted reckless manslaughter.
On August 1, 2023, Steinke was fired.
On September 15, 2023, Steinke was sentenced to 30 months of supervised probation.
- DA drops felony charge against Fort Lupton police officer in train crash case, CBS Colorado, 2023-02-25
- Jeremy Jojola, Woman hit by train while in police car takes steps toward lawsuit, 9 News, 2022-09-28
- Gina Martinez, Two Colorado police officers charged after train hit patrol car with handcuffed woman inside, CBS News, 2022-11-07
- Steve Staeger, CBI investigating officers who left suspect in squad car on train tracks, 9 News, 2022-09-21
- Brian Maass, Police officer who parked on train tracks called 'incompetent' by fellow officers, demotion recommended at previous department, CBS Colorado, 2022-10-27
- Officers, woman charged in September train collision case, Weld County District Attorney, 2022-11-07
- Officer who put 20-year-old in patrol car hit by train pleads not guilty, CPR News, 2023-03-02
- Wilson Breese, Woman in police car hit by train pleads no contest to misdemeanor menacing charge, 9 News, 2023-06-30
- Meredith Deliso, Verdict reached in trial of cop who placed woman in patrol car hit by train, ABC News, 2023-07-28
- Jeremy Jojola, Officer fired after conviction in train collision case, 9 News, 2023-08-01
- Alejandro Galva, Probation given to officer who placed a handcuffed woman in a police car that was hit by train, Colorado Public Radio, 2023-09-15