|Agency||DeWitt Michigan Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2003. Terminated and reinstated in 2021.|
|Last Known Status||Reinstated.|
There were no prior disciplinary actions or citizen complaints against Vorce during his time with the DeWitt Police Department.
2021 Detainment of Alexander Hamilton
On January 14, 2021, Vorce saw a Black driver in his neighborhood who he thought might be a suspect in recent break-ins. Vorce confronted Hamilton, who drove off without explaining his presence to Vorce's satisfaction. Vorce, who was off-duty, called 911, followed Hamilton to a gas station, and detained him at gun-point.
Other officers responded to the gas station and investigated, finding that Hamilton had been delivering newspapers. Vorce was quoted by a Michigan State Police trooper as saying, "when I see a Black guy, you know I think you're doing stuff like this".
The gas station's surveillance video shows part of the encounter.
On January 14, 2021, Vorce was placed on administrative leave, pending the outcome of an investigation.
Michigan State Police found that Vorce did not have law enforcement authority to investigate the situation, was outside of his jurisdiction, his use of force was unjustified and excessive, his tone and demeanor was excessive, and he put the community at risk.
On May 5, 2021, Vorce was fired for violations of departmental policies and regulations.
Vorce appealed the termination.
On December 9, 2021, a mediator found the incident to be "poor judgment" that is "not likely to occur again", and that Hamilton could have prevented the incident by clearly identifying his actions when first challenged by Vorce. The mediator suggested some type of "progressive discipline" as this was Vorce's first offense, and ordered the department to reinstate Vorce.
On April 7, 2022, Vorce was arraigned on three felony counts, including assault with a dangerous weapon, weapons - felony firearm, and misconduct in office. Vorce faces up to 9 years in prison and/or a $12,000 fine.
- Arbitration opinion and Award, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, 2021-12-09
- Off-duty officer fired after pointing gun at Black man, WXYZ, 2021-11-14
- Cody Butler, VIDEO: DeWitt officer fired for pointing gun at Black teen in off-duty incident, WILX, 2021-11-12
- Kalie Marantette, DeWitt police officer fired after pulling gun on Black teen delivering newspapers, WLNS, 2021-11-11
- DeWitt Officer Charged in Altercation with Newspaper Delivery Driver, Michigan Department of Attorney General, 2022-04-07