Honolulu Hawaii Police Department
|Last Known Status||Restricted Duty|
2015 Certificate of Merit
Sergeant James Nobriga, Corporal John Lynn, and Nahulu responded to a call of a despondent man with a knife. The officers disarmed the man and took him to the hospital. The officers received the department's Certificate of Merit.
2011 Arrest of Sefo Fatai
On August 26, 2011, Fatai was arrested for drug trafficking after meeting Kristine Medford to receive payment for work that had been done for Medford. Nahulu was one of several officers involved in the arrest.
In January 2013, the case went to trial but was cancelled when Medford did not appear to testify. Fatai was released.
In December 2014, the city prosecutor re-filed the charges against Fatai. A second trial ended in a mistrial after Medford made inappropriate statements on the stand. Fatai was not released.
In March 2016, the city prosecutor re-filed the charges against Fatai. The third trial ended with a hung jury. Fatai was not released.
In January 2018, the city prosecutor re-filed the charges against Fatai. The fourth trial ended when Medford did not appear to testify. The judge dismissed the case with prejudice, meaning that the charges could not be re-filed. Fatai was released.
Fatai filed a lawsuit against the city and several officers.
Nahulu was placed on restricted duty.
On April 8, 2022, four passengers in the vehicle filed a lawsuit against the city, Nahulu, Bartolome, and Smith.
On April 12, 2022, Perkins-Sinapati filed a lawsuit against the city and several officers.
On February 2, 2023, the city settled a lawsuit from four of the passengers for $4.5 million.
On March 16, 2023, Nahulu was charged with felony "collision that resulted in death or serious bodily injury", and faces up to 10 years in prison.
On March 24, 2023, the officers pleaded not guilty.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Lynn Kawano, HPD officer facing criminal probe after near-fatal crash previously accused of civil rights violations, Hawaii News Now, 2021-10-11
- ↑ 2015 Third Quarter Awards - Certificate of Merit, The Honolulu PD, 2016-01-05
- ↑ Fatai v. City & Cnty. of Honolulu, U.S. District Court, 2021-07-13
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Lynn Kawano, An 8-year battle with the law left him hopeless and on the streets. Now he’s fighting back., Hawaii News Now, 2020-10-30
- ↑ Jacob Geanous, Second Lawsuit Filed Over Police Involvement In Oahu Car Crash, Honolulu Civil Beat, 2022-04-08
- ↑ Jacob Geanous, Third Lawsuit Filed Against City Alleging Honolulu Police Caused Crash, Honolulu Civil Beat, 2022-04-12
- ↑ Lynn Kawano, Council OKs first settlement in police chase that prompted felony probe, Hawaii News Now, 2023-02-22
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Audrey McAvoy, Honolulu police officers plead not guilty in Waiʻanae car crash, cover-up, Hawaii Public Radio, 2023-03-24
- ↑ 4 Honolulu police officers charged after alleged coverup in police chase, FOX News, 2023-03-17
Recent articles: Scott Birney, Christopher Shields, Adam Nguyen, Anna Perez, Marquis Fitzgerald