|Agency||Grand Rapids Michigan Police Department|
|Dates of Service||2015 - June 15, 2022|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2022 Death of Patrick Lyoya
On April 4, 2022, Schurr pulled over Lyoya's vehicle for having an invalid license plate. Lyoya exited the vehicle, ignored orders to stay in the car, and eventually ran from the stop. Schurr caught up to Lyoya and tackled him. Lyoya got up and Schurr deployed his taser twice, but it did not make contact. The men wrestled to the ground again. Schurr, on top of Lyoya at that moment in the struggle, drew his pistol and shot Lyoya at point-blank range, killing him.
Video of the incident was partially captured by Schurr's body-worn camera before it deactivated, and by the passenger in Lyoya's vehicle.
On April 4, 2022, the City provided a Critical Incident Update.
On April 12, 2022, Schurr was placed on paid administrative leave.
On April 13, 2022, the City live-streamed a press conference on the shooting.
Michigan State Police are investigating the shooting. 
On June 9, 2022, Schurr was charged with one count of second-degree murder, a felony. Schurr faces life in prison without parole if convicted.
On June 15, 2022, Schurr was fired.
On August 28, 2023, a judge removed the city as a defendent in the family's lawsuit, stating that they had not shown a link between Schurr's actions and possible racial discrimination and poor training by the city.
- John Wisely, Grand Rapids Police release name of officer who fired fatal shot, Detroit Free Press, 2022-04-25
- Nate Belt, 'It's not a surprise'; Community reacts to firing of Christopher Schurr, WZZM, 2022-06-15
- Christopher Schurr, City of Grand Rapids, govSalaries
- Omar Jimenez, Videos show the fatal police shooting of Michigan man after a struggle during a traffic stop, CNN, 2022-04-16
- Critical Incident Update, The City of Grand Rapids, 2022-04-04
- Julie Dunmire, GRPD record of Officer Christopher Schurr reveals two complaints, 14 letters of recognition, FOX 17, 2022-04-29
- Press Conference: GRPD April 4 Officer-involved Shooting Video Release - April 13, 2022, The City of Grand Rapids, 2022-04-13
- Doug Reardon, IN-DEPTH: GRPD Officer Christopher Schurr charged with second-degree murder in shooting death of Patrick Lyoya, FOX 17, 2022-06-09
- Scott McClallen, Family of Lyoya, fatally shot by Grand Rapids police, files federal civil lawsuit, Times Georgian, 2022-12-07
- Lloya v Schurr, U.S. District Court, 2022-12-07
- Rachel Van Gilder, City removed from civil suit over Patrick Lyoya’s death, WOOD, 2023-08-28