|Agency||Grand Rapids Michigan Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2015.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2022 Death of Patrick Lyoya
On April 4, 2022, Schurr pulled over Lyoya's vehicle for having an invalid license plate. Lyoya exited the vehicle, ignored orders to stay in the car, and eventually ran from the stop. Schurr caught up to Lyoya and tackled him. Lyoya got up and Schurr deployed his taser twice, but it did not make contact. The men wrestled to the ground again. Schurr, on top of Lyoya at that moment in the struggle, drew his pistol and shot Lyoya at point-blank range, killing him.
Video of the incident was partially captured by Schurr's body-worn camera before it deactivated, and by the passenger in Lyoya's vehicle.
On April 4, 2022, the City provided a Critical Incident Update.
On April 13, 2022, the City live-streamed a press conference on the shooting.
Michigan State Police are investigating the shooting. 
On June 9, 2022, Schurr was charged with felony second-degree murder. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.
On June 10, 2022, Schurr was fired.
- John Wisely, Grand Rapids Police release name of officer who fired fatal shot, Detroit Free Press, 2022-04-25
- Christopher Schurr, City of Grand Rapids, govSalaries
- Ed White, Michigan cop charged with murder in Lyoya’s death is fired, Lexington Herald Leader, 2022-06-16
- Omar Jimenez, Videos show the fatal police shooting of Michigan man after a struggle during a traffic stop, CNN, 2022-04-16
- Critical Incident Update, The City of Grand Rapids, 2022-04-04
- Press Conference: GRPD April 4 Officer-involved Shooting Video Release - April 13, 2022, The City of Grand Rapids, 2022-04-13
- Kiara Alfonseca, Michigan police officer charged with murder in killing of Patrick Lyoya, ABC News, 2022-06-09