Kansas City Missouri Police Department
|Dates of Service||Hired September 1999|
|Last Known Status||Suspended without pay pending termination|
2010 Department Life-Saving Award
On September 23, 2010, DeValkenaere received the Life-Saving Award for saving a youth from drowning while off-duty.
2019 Death of Cameron Lamb
On June 18, 2020, DeValkenaere was charged with first-degree involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action, the first time a Kansas City law enforcement officer has been charged in a fatal shooting.
On June 18, 2020, the department stated that DeValkenaere had been suspended.
In January 2021, DeValkenaere returned to the department, on administrative duty.
In June 2021, Lamb's family sued the Kansas City Board of Police Commissioners and DeValkenaere, accusing them of violating Lamb’s civil rights.
On November 19, 2021, DeValkenaere was convicted of a lesser charge of second degree involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action. In a bench trial, the judge focused on the officers' right to be on the property before the shooting.
On November 19, 2021, DeValkenaere was suspended without pay pending termination.
On March 4, 2022, DeValkenaere was sentenced to three years for involuntary manslaughter and six years for armed criminal action with the sentences to run concurrently. DeValkenaere was freed on bond during the appeal process.
On June 26, 2023, the state Attorney General filed a brief requesting that the conviction be overturned, stating that the "evidence credited by the trial court did not support the convictions".
- Brian Johnson, Grand jury indicts KCPD officer with involuntary manslaughter in December fatal shooting, KMBC, 2020-06-19
- David Hudnall, Kansas City officer found guilty in fatal shooting is suspended ‘pending termination’, Kansas City Star, 2021-11-19
- Officer saves boy from drowning, Kansas City Police Chief Blog, 2010-09-29
- Dan Margolies, Trial of the first Kansas City police officer ever charged in a fatal shooting gets underway today, KCUR, 2021-11-08
- Dan Margolies, Grand Jury Indicts Kansas City Police Detective In Killing Of Cameron Lamb In December, KCUR, 2020-06-18
- Indictment, Jackson County Missouri Curcuit court, 2020-06-18
- Kansas City officer charged in fatal shooting of black man, AP News, 2020-06-18
- 5 Kansas City officers charged with crimes still on the job, WIBW, 2021-07-12
- KCPD Det. Eric DeValkenaere found guilty in death of Cameron Lamb, KSHB, 2019-11-19
- Emily Holwick, Former Kansas City police detective sentenced to 6 years in Cameron Lamb's fatal shooting, KMBC, 2022-03-04
- Missouri AG: Conviction of former KCPD detective accused of killing Black man should be reversed, KCTV, 2023-06-26