San Antonio Texas Police Department
|Dates of Service||Approximately March, 2022 - October 5, 2022.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2022 Shooting of Erik Cantu
On October 2, 2022, Brennand was responding to a reported disturbance at a restaurant. Brennand recognized the vehicle from the earlier evasion in the parking lot. Brennand approached the vehicle and opened the driver's door. Cantu put the car in reverse and backed away, striking Brennand with the door. Brennand fired as Cantu backed up and continued to drive away.
The incident was captured by Brennand's body-worn camera.
Cantu was hit several times and was treated at the hospital. Cantu was charged with evading detention with a vehicle and assault on a peace officer.
The department investigated. The Police Chief commented that there was no "defense of that's officer's actions" and that the contact "did not justify the shooting".
On October 7, 2022, the District Attorney dropped the charges against Cantu.
On October 11, 2022, Brennand was charged with two counts of aggravated assault by public servant.
On December 1, 2022, Brennand was indicted by a grand jury with attempted murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon by a public servant.
- San Antonio Police officer fired after shooting suspect trying to drive off at McDonald's, News4SA, 2022-10-05
- San Antonio Police Department: Critical Incident Video, San Antonio Police Department, 2022-10-05
- Sye Bennefield Jr., VIDEO: San Antonio police officer fired after shooting at Northside McDonald's, MySanAntonio, 2022-10-05
- Records show Erik Cantu evaded same San Antonio police officer he was shot by the night before, KTSA, 2022-10-31
- RAW | San Antonio Police Department: Critical Incident Video Release, San Antonio Police Department, 2022-10-05
- Priscilla Aguirre, Bexar County DA rejects charges against teen shot by former SAPD officer, My San Antonio, 2022-10-07
- Phil Helsel, Former San Antonio officer who shot teen in McDonald’s parking lot is arrested, NBC News, 2022-10-11
- Former SAPD officer indicted after shooting of unarmed San Antonio teen Erik Cantu, KENS, 2022-12-01