|Agency||South Bend Indiana Police Department|
|Last Known Status||Resigned|
2021 Child Seduction
In July 2021, Barber met a 16-year-old girl at her work, and asked for her phone number.
In August 2021, Barber picked the girl up while he was in uniform and driving his patrol vehicle. Barber drove to a location where they had sex. They met again in September.
On October 5, 2021, Mishawaka Indiana police were contacted after the girl's parents found messages between Barber and their daughter.
On October 6, 2021, Barber was placed on paid leave.
Investigators found that GPS records from Barber's patrol vehicle matched the girl's identification of the locations.
On October 19, 2021, Barber was arrested and accused of two felony counts of child seduction, two felony counts of official misconduct, and misdemeanor counts of public indecency and public nudity.
On July 13, 2022, Barber pleaded guilty to one count of child seduction and one count of official misconduct, both felonies. Prosecutors also agreed to a maximum sentence of four years.
On September 9, 2022, a judge sentenced Barber to four years of probation. Barber must register as a sex offender and have no contact with children outside of his family.
In September 21, 2022, the South Bend Board of Public Safety accepted Barber's resigned.
- Timothy Barber P, PO-Patrolman 1st class-2nd Dtl-GF, South Bend Civil City, govSalaries
- Melissa Hudson, Board accepts resignation of South Bend Police officer Timothy Barber, ABC 57, 2022-09-21
- Greg Swiercz, South Bend police officer arrested and charged with child seduction, South Bend Tribune, 2021-10-19
- Melissa Hudson, South Bend Police officer placed on unpaid leave after arrest, ABC 57, 2021-10-20
- Meeting Minutes, South Bend Board of Public Safety, 2021-10-20
- Marek Mazurek, South Bend officer admits to child seduction of 16-year-old girl, enters plea deal, South Bend Tribune, 2022-07-14
- Marek Mazurek, South Bend officer given probation for sex crimes conviction, South Bend Tribune, 2022-0909