|Agency||San Diego California Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2012.|
|Last Known Status||Suspended|
2016 Death of Thongsoune Vilaysane
A news source reports that an officer with the same name and years of service was one of several officers who fatally shot Vilaysane when he turned a stolen car towards the officers in May 2016.
2021 Assault Charges
On July 31, 2021, police responded to a call of a man creating a disturbance and displaying a firearm in a threatening manner outside of a bar. Police determined that Sterling, an off-duty police officer who had been drinking, had brandished his personal firearm at another man.
On July 31, 2021, Sterling was arrested.
On September 13, 2021, Sterling pleaded not guilty.
On November 29, 2021, Sterling was ordered to stand trial on charges including a felony count of assault with a deadly weapon and a misdemeanor count of brandishing a firearm.
- San Diego police officer who allegedly brandished gun while off duty in Pacific Beach will stand trial, CBS 8, 2021-11-29
- Trevor Sterling A Police Officer San Diego, govSalaries
- David Hernandez, SDPD officer charged with assault with a deadly weapon, brandishing a gun outside Pacific Beach bar, San Diego Union-Tribune, 2021-09-27
- Brenda Gregorio-Nieto, Gun Restraining Order Filed Against Off-Duty SDPD Officer Accused of Displaying Firearm in Pacific Beach, NBC 7, 2021-08-12
- Gun Violence Restraining Orders, California Courts