Karon Hylton-Brown (2020)
On October 23, 2020, Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia Officers Terence Sutton, Carlos Tejera, Ahmed Al-Shrawl, and Cory Novick were in an unmarked car and observed Hylton-Brown riding a rental electric scooter without a helmet and driving on a sidewalk. Sutton attempt a traffic stop, and Lieutenant Andrew Zabavsky joined with his marked police car. Hylton-Brown refused to yield to the officers. After a three-minute chase, Hylton-Brown's scooter emerged from an alley and collided with another car. 
Department policy forbids officers from pursuing a vehicle for a traffic violation.
After returning to the police station, Sutton denied engaging in a vehicular pursuit of Hylton-Brown, and Zabavsky withheld all information about his involvement in the incident, and both officers omitted any mention of Hylton-Brown's serious injuries.
October 25, 2020, Hylton-Brown succumbed to his injuries from the crash.
October 29, 2020, four D.C. police officers were placed on non-contact leave. D.C. police released two redacted videos showing body-worn camera footage.
On September 23, 2021, Sutton was indicted on a local charge of second-degree murder and federal charges of conspiracy and obstruction of justice.
The indictment alleges that Sutton caused Hylton-Brown’s death by "driving a police vehicle in conscious disregard for an extreme risk of death or serious bodily injury to Hylton-Brown."
Zabavsky was indicted on federal charges of conspiracy and obstruction of justice. 
On September 24, 2021, Sutton and Zabavsky pleaded not guilty.
On October 20, 2021, Hylton-Brown's family filed a $100 million lawsuit against the city and five officers, citing violations of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, and seven violations of state law.
On December 21, 2022, Sutton was found guilty of second-degree murder, conspiracy to obstruct, and obstruction of justice. Zabavsky was found guilty of conspiracy to obstruct and obstruction of justice.
Community Briefing Video: Karon Hylton
Driver Officer BWC Full Video Redacted: Karon Hylton
Karon Hylton – Passenger Officer BWC Full Video Redacted
News report includes home security footage
Chief Contee addresses the indictment of two MPD members 2021-09-24
- ↑ Police Release Body Camera Footage of Karon Hylton-Brown's Fatal Crash, yahoo.com, 2020-10-30
- ↑ D.C. Police Officer Indicted On Murder, Conspiracy Charges In Death Of Karon Hylton-Brown, dcist, 2021-09-24
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Karon Hylton-Brown lawsuit, United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 2021-10-20
- ↑ Vehicular Pursuits, Metropolitan Police Department, 2003-02-25
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Stamped Indictment, United States District Court, 2021-09-23
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Two Officers Indicted on Charges in Death of 20-Year-Old Karon Hylton-Brown, U.S. Attorneys Office District of Columbia, 2021-09-24
- ↑ 4 DC Officers on Leave After Karon Hylton-Brown's Fatal Scooter Crash; Body Cam Video Released, NBC4 Washington, 2020-10-29
- ↑ D.C. officer charged with murder in police pursuit crash that prompted protests, KTLA, 2021-09-24
- ↑ Police officers found guilty in fatal pursuit of man on electric scooter, ABC News, 2022-12-22
Recent articles: Anthony Nigro, Curtis Tyra, Wallace Simmons, Derick Chandler, Scott Birney