Kary Jarvis (2020)
On October 23, 2020, Daytona Beach Florida Police Department officers Marville Tucker and James Mackenzie stopped Jarvis for failing to stop as he exited a gas station. After the officers concluded the traffic stop, they asked to search Jarvis' vehicle.
Jarvis refused, and the officers told Jarvis to exit the vehicle. When the officers told Jarvis that he could not prevent the search, Jarvis entered his vehicle and drove off. One officer was dragged and the other entered the vehicle. Jarvis crashed into a ditch and was arrested.
The incident was captured on the officers' body-worn cameras.
A subsequent search revealed heroin and knives in the car.
Jarvis was charged with two felony counts of aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer, felony aggravated fleeing and eluding, trafficking in a controlled substance (heroin/fentanyl), possession of THC oil, resisting arrest with violence, possession of drug paraphernalia, and unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons.
On October 21, 2021, a judge who had reviewed the body-worn camera footage ruled that the officers unlawfully detained Jarvis and searched his vehicle with "no legal basis". Jarvis was in jail for 369 days after his arrest.
On January 11, 2022, the charges against Jarvis were dropped.
On August 20, 2022, the department found that Mackenzie violated policies regarding professional conduct, department morale, and search and seizures, and gave him a written reprimand.
On March 20, 2023, Jarvis filed a lawsuit against the city and the officers.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Patricio Balona, Police: Man runs stop sign, drags police officers during Daytona Beach traffic stop, Daytona Beach News-Journal, 2020-10-06
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Man sues Daytona Beach police after traffic stop ends with injuries, arrest, WKMG News 6, 2023-02-16
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Florida v Jarvis Motion to Suppress, Circuit Court, 2021-10-21
- ↑ Florida v Jarvis Nolle Prosequi, Circuit court, 2022-01-11
- ↑ Jarvis v. City of Daytona Beach et al, U.S. District Court, 2023-03-20
Recent articles: Scott Birney, Christopher Shields, Adam Nguyen, Anna Perez, Marquis Fitzgerald