Philadelphia Pennsylvania Police Department
|Dates of Service||2013 - 2021|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2020 Arrest of Rickia Young
On October 27, 2020, Young was driving with her 2-year-old son and 16-year-old nephew when she turned down a street that was full of people protesting the shooting of Walter Wallace, Jr.
A group of officers, including Kardos, surrounded Young's SUV, rocking it, and breaking out the windows. Officers pulled Young and her nephew from the car, and Young "was struck by fists, batons, and a number of unknown objects".
Young was released without charges.
In 2021, Kardos was fired after an internal investigation found that he used excessive force, including physical abuse with a baton.
In September 2021, the city settled Young's lawsuit for $2 million.
In April 2022, Kardos was arrested and charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, possession of an instrument of a crime, reckless endangerment, and criminal mischief.
On May 19, 2023, a judge dismissed the charges against Kardos after a police officer witness failed to appear in court. The prosecutor refiled the charges.
On June 12, 2023, a judge acquitted Kardos of the charges.
- Ellie Rushing, Former Philly cop charged with aggravated assault in beating of a mother during 2020 unrest, Philadelphia Enquirer, 2022-04-21
- Darren Kardos, Police Officer, City of Philadelphia, govSalaries
- Claudia Lauer, Ex-Philadelphia police officer charged in assault on mother driving near protest, WITF, 2022-04-22
- Anna Orso, ‘He was petrified’, Philadelphia Enquirer, 2020-12-03
- Rickia Young shares her story after being allegedly beaten by police, CBS News
- Prosecutors Refile Charges Against Officer in 2020 Protest Arrest After Judge Dismisses Case, NBC Philadelphia, 2023-05-20
- Former Philadelphia officer found not guilty in beating of woman during 2020 unrest, FOX 29, 2023-06-13