Sean Monterrosa (2020)
Officer Jarrett Tonn was in the backseat of an unmarked police pickup truck that arrived at a local business that was being looted. Tonn believed that Monterrosa was reaching for a gun and fired a rifle at Monterrosa though the vehicle's windshield, killing him.
About June 4, 2020, the Chief discontinued an internal investigation, as an outside organization would be retained to investigate.
On June 24, 2020, the California Attorney General declined to investigate the shooting, as it would typically be handled by local authorities.
On July 2, 2020, the county District Attorney recused her office from the investigation and asked for the state Attorney General to conduct an independent review.
On July 27, 2020, it was reported that Tonn had returned to duty.
On August 6, 2020, Monterrosa's family filed a lawsuit against Tonn and the city of Vallejo, accusing the Vallejo Police Department of tampering with evidence and acting negligently by not reprimanding or re-training Tonn after prior incidents.
On May 30, 2021, the California Attorney General's office took over the investigation.
On June 1, 2021, an independent investigator found the shooting to "not be objectively reasonable" and that it was based on bad tactics. The report also stated that Tonn violated department policy.
On June 17, 2021, Tonn was placed on administrative leave.
On May 10, 2022, a report was issued from an internal pre-disciplinary "Skelly" hearing. The officer in charge of the review determined that Tonn had acted "based on a generalized fear", but had not violated the department's use of force policy and should not be fired.
On October 3, 2022, Tonn was fired for using unreasonable force.
On October 4, 2023, Tonn appealed his termination.
- Vallejo Police Department Release including body-worn camera footage from multiple officers and surveillance footage from the business.
- Vallejo Police Department Press Conference
- Henry Lee, Vallejo police shoot, kill 22-year-old San Francisco man after mistaking hammer for gun, KTVU, 2020-06-03
- Opinion and Award, Arbitrator, 2023-08-18
- Henry Lee, California attorney general won't examine killing by Vallejo police, KTVU, 2020-06-24
- Solano County D.A. recuses her office from review of two deadly Vallejo police shootings, KTVU, 2020-07-02
- Richard Freedman, Officer in shooting returns as windshield scrutiny continues in Vallejo, Times Herald, 2020-07-27
- Jodi Hernandez, Civil Rights Suit Filed by Family of Man Killed by Vallejo Police, NBC Bay Area, 2020-08-06
- Monterrosa v City of Vallejo Complaint], 'U.S. District Court, 2020-08-06
- Lisa Fernandez, California AG takes over Vallejo police shooting of Sean Monterrosa, KTVU, 2021-05-13
- Vallejo cop who fatally shot Sean Monterrosa violated policy, investigation concludes, KTVU, 2021-12-02
- Administrative Investigative Report, OIR Group, 2021-06-01
- Erik Ortiz, Police in Vallejo, Calif., fire officer in 2020 shooting death of Sean Monterrosa, NBC News, 2022-10-05
- Melanie Woodrow, Vallejo officer who shot, killed Sean Monterrosa reinstated with back pay and benefits: I-Team, ABC 7, 2023-08-28