Sean Monterrosa (2020)
Officer Jarrett Tonn was in the backseat of an unmarked police pickup truck that arrived at a local business that was being looted. Tonn believed that Monterrosa was reaching for a gun and fired a rifle at Monterrosa though the vehicle's windshield, killing him.
In June 2020, Tonn was placed on administrative leave.
On June 24, 2020, the California Attorney General declined to investigate the shooting, as it would typically be handled by local authorities.
On July 2, 2020, the county District Attorney recused her office from the investigation and asked for the state Attorney General to conduct an independent review.
On July 27, 2020, it was reported that Tonn had returned to duty.
On August 6, 2020, Monterrosa's family filed a lawsuit against Tonn and the city of Vallejo, accusing the Vallejo Police Department of tampering with evidence and acting negligently by not reprimanding or re-training Tonn after prior incidents.
On May 30, 2021, the California Attorney General's office took over the investigation.
On June 1, 2021, an independent investigator found the shooting to "not be objectively reasonable" and that it was based on bad tactics. The report also stated that Tonn violated department policy.
- Vallejo Police Department Release including body-worn camera footage from multiple officers and surveillance footage from the business.
- Vallejo Police Department Press Conference
- Henry Lee, Vallejo police shoot, kill 22-year-old San Francisco man after mistaking hammer for gun, KTVU, 2020-06-03
- Laurence Du Sault, Detective on leave over Sean Monterrosa shooting, Open Vallejo, 2021-07-11
- Henry Lee, California attorney general won't examine killing by Vallejo police, KTVU, 2020-06-24
- Solano County D.A. recuses her office from review of two deadly Vallejo police shootings, KTVU, 2020-07-02
- Richard Freedman, Officer in shooting returns as windshield scrutiny continues in Vallejo, Times Herald, 2020-07-27
- Jodi Hernandez, Civil Rights Suit Filed by Family of Man Killed by Vallejo Police, NBC Bay Area, 2020-08-06
- Monterrosa v City of Vallejo Complaint], 'U.S. District Court, 2020-08-06
- Lisa Fernandez, California AG takes over Vallejo police shooting of Sean Monterrosa, KTVU, 2021-05-13
- Vallejo cop who fatally shot Sean Monterrosa violated policy, investigation concludes, KTVU, 2021-12-02
- Administrative Investigative Report, OIR Group, 2021-06-01