|Agency||Paterson New Jersey Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2003.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2006-2013 Paterson Police Department Awards
In the period of 2006-2013, Finch received the Medal of Valor, the Chief's Medal (3x), and the Medal of Merit (2x).
2006 Suspect Beating
On March 16, 2006, Finch and other officers responded to a burglary in progress.
Another officer filed a report with Internal Affairs, detailing how other officers - including Finch - had beaten the suspect.
Excessive force charges were dismissed in the federal courts.
2011 Arrest of Donnie Walton
On November 26, 2011, Walton was arrested by several officers, including Finch. Walton alleges that the officers used excessive force, including being "kicked, punched [and] beat" while he was handcuffed.
On December 24, 2013, Walton filed a lawsuit against the officers.
On June 23, 2014, the case was dismissed as it was not filed with the two year time limit.
2011 Arrest of Alexis Aponte and Miguel Rivera
On September 3, 2011, it was alleged that one of Aponte or Rivera fired a shot at an off-duty police officer. Multiple officers responded, including Finch.
In 2013, the prosecutor's office decided not to file any charges against the officers.
On June 28, 2013, Aponte and Rivera filed a federal lawsuit.
The city of Paterson approved a $610,000 settlement in that lawsuit.
2018 Arrest of Justin Montgomery
Montgomery filed an internal affairs complaint against the officers.
On November 1, 2019, Montgomery filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court, alleging that Finch violated his Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights by using excessive force and depriving him of due process rights.
2021 Arrest of B.C.
On June 10, 2021, Finch was suspended without pay. Under the police union contract, Finch would resume collecting his pay after 30 days and then go on administrative leave.
On June 30, 2021, city officials announced the filing of termination papers against Finch.
On June 11, 2021, Finch was arrested and charged with official misconduct, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, and tampering with public records. The unauthorized weapon was a larger 'C' or 'D'-cell flashlight, which are not allowed by the department.
- Joe Malinconico, Paterson cop arrested on misconduct, assault charges, North Jersey, 2021-06-11
- Saluting Our Heroes, Paterson PBA Local 1
- Rayfield v. City of Paterson, United States District Court, 2007-08-16
- Walton v Kelly Opinion, U.S. District Court, 2014-06-23
- Surveillance Video Captures Alleged Paterson, N.J. Police Brutality, CBS 2, 2013-07-01
- Police Brutality? NJ Officers face lawsuit for arrest after off-duty officer bar fight!, YouTube
- Joe Malinconico, Paterson OKs $610k settlement in police brutality case, North Jersey, 2017-01-05
- Jayed Rahman, Man alleges Paterson police officers broke his nose, knocked out several teeth, Paterson Times, 2019-07-01
- Montgomery v Paterson, U.S. District Court, 2019-11-01
- Joe Malinconico, Paterson will try to fire cop accused of assault in incident captured by bodycam video, North Jersey, 2021-06-30
- Joe Malinconico, Body camera footage produced evidence that led to Paterson cop’s excessive force arrest, North Jersey, 2021-06-14