New York State Police
|Dates of Service||Hired approximately 2007.|
|Last Known Status||Active|
Trooper of the Year
Nigro was named Troop T Trooper of the Year.
Trooper of the Year
Nigro was named Troop T Zone 4 Trooper of the Year.
2022 Death of James Huber
On February 12, 2022, troopers received a call about a vehicle that was speeding and driving erratically. Troopers chased Huber, who struck a state police car. When Huber exited the highway, the chase was called off.
Huber stopped his car, and Nigro approached the vehicle with his gun drawn and ordered Huber to exit the vehicle. Huber refused, and told Nigro to "go away" as he reached for something inside his vehicle. Nigro reached inside the vehicle, grabbed Huber, and fired twice. The vehicle moved backwards, crashed, and landed on its side.
Huber was pronounced dead at the scene.
The incident was captured on Nigro's body-worn camera.
The New York Attorney General's Office of Special Investigation opened an investigation, which is required when a police officer causes the death of a person by an act or omission, whether the officer was on- or off-duty, and whether the person was armed or unarmed.
On August 1, 2022, Huber's family filed a lawsuit against Nigro for use of excessive force, assault and battery, and wrongful death.
On March 23, 2023, Nigro's body-worn camera video was released.
On June 5, 2023, Nigro was charged with manslaughter in the first and second degrees for the shooting death of Huber. First degree manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison.
Nigro pleaded not guilty.
- Snejana Farberov, ‘Trooper of the Year’ indicted over deadly shooting of driver following high-speed chase in Buffalo, New York Post, 2023-06-05
- Anthony Nigro IV, Trooper-State Police, New York State Police, govSalaries
- Attorney General James’ Office of Special Investigation Announces Indictment and Arraignment of State Trooper on Manslaughter Charges, New York Attorney General, 2023-06-05
- Frye v. Nigro Complaint, U.S. District Court, 2022-08-01
- Investigation into the Death of James Huber, New York State Attorney General, 2023-03-23