Jacksonville Florida Sheriff's Office
|Dates of Service||Hired April 10, 2013.|
|Last Known Status||Active|
2014 Death of Leonardo Little
On November 24, 2014, Grant stopped Little for an expired tag. Little did not have a drivers license and provided different names and addresses. Grant found a license record that he believed matched Little, but it was suspended.
Grant had Little exit his vehicle and started to handcuff him. Little fought and started to run away. Grant Tased Little and tried again to handcuff him. The fight resumed and Little gained control of Grant's Taser and charged at him. Grant fired his service weapon, killing Little.
Grant was placed on administrative leave.
In July 2015, the State Attorney's Office ruled that the shooting was justified.
2022 Internal Investigations
In April 2022, Grant was investigated for an in-house complaint. Grant received formal counseling.
In June 2022, Grant failed to conform to work standards and received a written reprimand.
In July 2022, Grant was blamed for a traffic crash and received informal counseling and remedial training.
2023 Misconduct Arrest
In December 2022, Grant responded to a call at a home. According to Grant's report, the officers arrived and woke a man up. Grant claimed that the man "put his hand on my shoulder and chest and pushed me backwards. Due to his size, I lost my balance and almost fell down." The occupant was arrested.
The incident was captured by multiple officers' body-worn cameras.
A review of the video footage showed discrepancies with the report that Grant filed and that there was no probable cause to arrest the man. The supervisor reported Grant to the JSO Integrity Unit.
The charges against the occupant were dropped.
On January 6, 2023, Grant was arrested and charged with third-degree felony official misconduct.
On March 27 2023, the charges against Grant were dropped after he successfully completed a pre-trial diversion program.
- ↑ UNCUT: Jacksonville sheriff holds news conference on arrest of police officer, News4JAX, 2023-01-06
- ↑ Cecil Grant A, City Of Jacksonville, govSalaries
- ↑ Officer Cecil Grant pulled over a Buick with an expired tag, Tampa Bay Times, 2014-11-24
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Ashley Harding, JSO: Officer shoots, kills man who fought arrest, News4JAX, 2014-11-25
- ↑ Dana Treen,Officer justified in shooting, killing of Jacksonville man in 2014 traffic stop, state attorney finds, Florida Times-Union, 2015-07-10
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 Marilyn Parker, Jacksonville police officer arrested on charge of official misconduct, News4JAX, 2023-01-06
- ↑ Official misconduct charge dismissed for Jacksonville police officer arrested in December, News4JAX, 2023-05-12
Recent articles: Anthony Nigro, Curtis Tyra, Wallace Simmons, Derick Chandler, Scott Birney