San Francisco California Police Department
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2017.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2017 Death of Keita O'Neil
On December 1, 2017, Samayoa and his partner chased O'Neil, who was wanted for assaulting a person and carjacking. O'Neil exited the vehicle and ran in the officers' direction. Samayoa drew his handgun while in the moving vehicle, opened his door, and fired through the window, striking O'Neil.
O'Neil died at the hospital.
In 2017, O'Neil's mother filed a lawsuit against the city, alleging excessive force.
In March 2018, Samayoa was fired.
On November 23, 2020, the newly-elected District Attorney charged Samayoa with voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, assault by an executive officer, assault with a semi-automatic firearm, and negligent discharge of a firearm.
On December 7, 2021, the city agreed to pay $2.5 million to settle the family's lawsuit.
- Olga Rodriguez, Ex-San Francisco cop charged in 2017 fatal shooting of man, AP News, 2020-11-23
- San Francisco's DA Drops Charges Against Former Officer, US News, 2023-02-10
- Letter to CA DOJ, Office of the District Attorney, 2023-02-08
- SF to pay $2.5M to slain unarmed carjacking suspect, KTVU, 2021-12-08
- Marco Siler-Gonzales, In First for SF, District Attorney Chesa Boudin Charges Former Police Officer With Homicide, KQED, 2020-11-23