Torrance California Police Department
|Dates of Service||August 2015 - September 18, 2020|
|Last Known Status||Separated|
2017 Medal of Valor
Tomsic and Officer Joshua Satterfield responded to a call of a baby who was not breathing. The officers were able to revive the baby.
On July 28, 2017, Tomsic and Satterfield received the South Bay Medal of Valor.
2017 Death of Michael Lopez
On October 14, 2017, Palos Verdes Estates California Police Department Sergeant Steven Lebeau attempted to stop Lopez for a broken taillight. Lopez led Lebeau on a chase for about an hour before Lebeau terminated pursuit.
Later that day, Torrance California Police Department officers Nicholas Rea and Anthony Chavez attempted to stop Lopez, but he fled, reaching speeds up to 85 mph and ignoring stop signs and red lights. Officers Blake Williams, Joshua Satterfield, Anthony Fontanez, and Tomsic joined the pursuit.
Officers used their vehicles to stop Lopez, who attempted to flee and drove toward one of the police cars. Several officers shot Lopez. Officers rendered aid before the fire department arrived. Lopez died at the hospital.
On August 13, 2019, the District Attorney concluded that the shooting was "in lawful self-defense and defense of others".
2018 Death of Deautry Ross
On January 1, 2018, the manager of a store at a shopping mall called police and reported that a man armed with a knife was walking in and out of their store. Officers Lance Nelson and Daniel Vasquez located Ross, who fled on foot. Officers Tomsic and Brian McGee joined the foot chase. Officers caught up to Ross, took him to the ground, and struggled to handcuff him. Ross tried to grab Tomsic's holstered handgun during the struggle. McGee attempted to use his Taser, but it jammed. Officers Josh Burden and Joseph Craft arrived and assisted the others in successfully handcuffing Ross, who continued to struggle. Officers Kelli McCarthy and Alex Gonzales arrived, and Gonzales assisted the others in binding Ross' arms and legs with a hobble restraint. Officers Garrett Brinkley and Omar Alonso arrived and helped manage Ross.
After paramedics arrived, Ross went into cardiac arrest. The paramedics treated Ross and transported him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
On April 1, 2020, the District Attorney concluded that the officers "used reasonable force" and "are not criminally responsible for Ross' death".
Tomsic was placed on leave pending an investigation.
On September 18, 2020, Tomsic left the department.
On August 19, 2021, the District Attorney charged Tomsic with vandalism and conspiracy to commit vandalism.
On August 19. 2021, Tomsic pleaded not guilty.
In January 2022, Swaine filed a lawsuit that accused the officers of unlawful search and seizure, unlawful taking of his property, and violating his constitutional rights.
In February 2022, the city paid Swaine $750,000 to settle the lawsuit.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Officer Involved Shooting of Michael Lopez, District Attorney, 2019-08-13
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 James Queally, Ex-Torrance police officers charged with spray-painting swastika on car, Los Angeles Times, 2021-08-19
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Torrance: 2 ex-police officers charged with vandalism after swastika spray-painted on impounded car, ABC 7, 2021-08-20
- ↑ Christopher Tomsic, Police Officer, Torrance, govSalaries
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Kathy Vara, Torrance Officers Save Life of 3-Month-Old Baby at Mall, NBC Los Angeles, 2017-07-29
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 In-Custody Death of Deautry Ross, District Attorney, 2020-04-01
- ↑ Former Torrance Police Officers Charged With Conspiracy, Vandalism[, District Attorney's Office, 2021-08-19
- ↑ Snejana Farberov, HUNDREDS of criminal cases will be reviewed in California after two cops plead not guilty to spray-painting swastika and a happy face onto suspect's car, Daily Mail, 2021-08-20
- ↑ James Queally, Federal lawsuit filed against city of Torrance in police racist text scandal, Los Angeles Times, 2022-01-21
- ↑ Adam Gabbatt, California city pays $750k to Jewish man accusing cops of painting swastika in car, The Guardian, 2023-03-21
Recent articles: Scott Birney, Christopher Shields, Adam Nguyen, Anna Perez, Marquis Fitzgerald