|Agency||Louisiana State Police|
|Dates of Service||2016 - June 4, 2021.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2019 Death of Ronald Greene
DeMoss told investigators that he "survived a fight for his life", and claimed that Greene "never gave up resisting" and was "hollering and being belligerent" during the arrest. DeMoss justified keeping Greene on the ground due to his "physical size and strength and the fear that Greene would harm someone else should he regain his footing".
On May 6, 2020, Greene's family filed a lawsuit against DeMoss and other officers.
On December 11, 2020, a District Court judge rejected the officers' claims of qualified immunity, stating that "every reasonable officer" would understand that the force used was unreasonable.
On September 20, 2022, an appeals court denied the officers' request for qualified immunity.
2020 Arrest of Antonio Harris
On June 17, 2020, the department gave DeMoss "counseling sessions". DeMoss was faulted for using "profane language", turning his FM radio up "extremely loud" during the chase, switching stations "in order to find the right song", and pulling Harris up by the hair.
On January 22, 2021, DeMoss was placed on administrative leave.
On June 4, 2021, DeMoss was fired.
About May 12, 2022, state prosecutors charged DeMoss, Harper, and Brown with misdemeanor simple battery and chose not to pursue the malfeasance charge. DeMoss faces up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine if convicted.
- John Simerman, State Police Troop F, under fire for Ronald Greene death, lacks diversity at just 9% Black, The Advocate, 2021-05-22
- Two state troopers fired, one tied to deadly arrest of Ronald Greene, WBRZ, 2021-06-10
- Dakota Demoss, State Police Trooper, Louisiana State Police, govSalaries
- Who Are Officers Charged in Ronald Greene's Deadly Arrest?, US News, 2022-12-15
- Greene v DeMoss et al, U.S. District Court, 2020-05-06
- Greene v. DeMoss Opinion, U.S. District Court, 2020-12-11
- Appeals court denies troopers' request for immunity in Ronald Greene lawsuit, KTBS, 2022-09-20
- Chris Nakamoto, Lawmakers, family weigh in on officers' indictments years after Ronald Greene's death in police custody, WBRZ, 2022-12-16
- TRO and Support, LA Boards Commission, 2021-03-04
- Lester Duhé, Louisiana State Police release new details behind arrests of four troopers, KPLC, 2021-02-08
- Chris Nakamoto, Two state troopers will remain on payroll despite excessive force arrests, WBRZ, 2021-04-08
- Kevin Foster, La. troopers fired after Ronald Greene, Antonio Harris beatings, KNOE, 2021-06-09
- Louisiana state troopers charged in beating of Black man, KNOE, 2022-05-12