|Agency||Indianapolis Indiana Metropolitan Police Department|
|Last Known Status||Active|
2019 Northwest District Officer of the Year
On September 28, 2019, Mercer was recognized as the Northwest District Officer of the Year.
2019 Certificate of Commendation
On November 6, 2019, Mercer received a Certificate of Commendation from the department, based on "exemplary service... above and beyond what is normally seen from officers on a daily basis".
2020 Death of Dreasjon Reed
On May 6, 2020, officers attempted to stop Reed for reckless driving. Reed led police on a vehicle pursuit, which he live-streamed. Officers broke off the chase as it reached speeds of nearly 90 mph. Mercer later located Reed. When Reed exited his vehicle and tried to run, Mercer used his Taser. Reed fired a gun at Mercer, who returned fire, killing him.
Part of the incident was captured on surveillance camera.
In June 2020, Reed's mother sued the city, police officials, and Mercer.
An internal investigation found that Mercer did not violate any department policies.
On January 31, 2023, the city settled the lawsuit for $390,000.
- ↑ De'Joure Mercer M, Patrol Officer, Indianapolis Consolidated City, govSalaries
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2019 Annual Report, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, 2019-11-06
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Michelle Kaufman, Lawsuit filed by Dreasjon Reed's mother against IMPD, city settled for nearly $400k, WRTV, 2023-02-10
- ↑ Wrongful death lawsuit filed by mother of Dreasjon Reed settled, WFYI, 2023-02-11
- ↑ Matt McKinney, Grand jury declines to indict IMPD officer in fatal Dreasjon Reed police shooting, WRTV, 2020-11-10
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Russ McQuaid, City settles Dreasjon Reed lawsuit for $390,000, calls it “not an admission of guilt”, FOX 59, 2023-02-14
Recent articles: Anthony Nigro, Curtis Tyra, Wallace Simmons, Derick Chandler, Scott Birney