|Agency||Edmond Oklahoma Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired September, 2018.|
|Last Known Status||Active|
2019 Death of Isaiah Lewis
On April 29, 2019, police were called to a domestic disturbance. As Scherman and Sergeant Milo Box arrived, Lewis fled, ran naked through the neighborhood for an hour, and eventually broke into a nearby home. When officers approached Lewis, he attacked them. A stun gun was deployed three times, but was ineffective. Scherman shot Lewis, killing him.
The officers were not wearing body cameras.
The District Attorney ruled that the shooting was justified.
Lewis' parents filed a lawsuit against the city and the officers, claiming use of excessive force and a violation of civil rights.
On July 6, 2021, a U.S. District Judge ruled that Scherman was not entitled to qualified immunity as the use of deadly force was excessive.
On September 1, 2021, Scherman appealed.
On September 16, 2022, the Court of Appeals ruled that Scherman was entitled to qualified immunity as not every reasonable officer would have determined the force to be excessive under the circumstances.
The United States Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal to address Scherman's qualified immunity.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Latest: Officers involved in shooting naked teen ID'd, AP News, 2019-05-01
- ↑ Denton Scherman, Police Officer, City of Edmond, govSalaries
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Lewis et al v. City of Edmond, et al, U.S. District Court, 2021-09-01
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Court Rules In Favor of Officer in Oklahoma Teen’s Death Lawsuit, Insurance Journal, 2022-09-19
- ↑ Maci Killman, DA: Officers in deadly Edmond teen shooting will not be charged, FOX 25, 2019-09-23
- ↑ Dillon Richards, Jury selection begins Monday in trial over police shooting death of Edmond teen, KOCO, 2021-07-09
- ↑ Lewis v Scherman, U.S. Court of Appeals, 2021-09-01
- ↑ Lewis v Edmond, U.S. Court of Appeals, 2022-09-16
- ↑ Chris Casteel, Supreme Court declines appeal from parents of teen killed by Edmond officer, 2023-03-27
Recent articles: Anthony Nigro, Curtis Tyra, Wallace Simmons, Derick Chandler, Scott Birney