|Agency||New Haven Connecticut Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Ended December 18, 2020|
|Last Known Status||Resigned|
2019 Sexual Assault of "CD"
In the fall of 2019, Gamarra caught "CD" engaging in a sexual act for money. He didn't arrest "CD", but said she "owed him". Gamarra had not activated his body-worn camera. Days later, they met again while Gamarra was driving his own car. He reminded her of the earlier incident and warned her of future harassment. "CD" performed a sex act with him.
In November 2019, the internal affairs department began investigating Gamarra.
2020 Sexual Assault of "AB"
In July 2020, Gamarra ordered "AB" into his personal car, which she felt obligated to do "because he was an officer". Gamarra drove to another location, where they had intercourse.
In July 2020, a second investigation was opened. "AB" stated that she felt that she didn't have a choice but to have sex with him.
Gamarra initially denied having sexual contact with either woman, but eventually admitted to both encounters, claiming the sex was consensual.
The internal investigations concluded that Gamarra violated departmental rules of conduct concerning principles and procedures.
On December 18, 2020, Gamarra resigned.
On December 28, 2020, Gamarra attempted to rescind his resignation.
On March 29, 2021, the department requested that the Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) Council revoke Gamarra's certification.
The POST Council voted to revoke Gamarra's certification, preventing him from being an officer in the state. Gamarra was the first officer to be permanently barred for "general misconduct" under a state police accountability law passed in 2020.
In April 2021, the State's Attorney's office dismissed the cases, citing insufficient evidence.
- Ben Lambert, Former New Haven cop’s ability to be an officer in CT revoked over alleged sex coercion, New Haven Register, 2021-11-22
- Gary Gamarra E Police Officer City of New Haven, govSalaries
- Razel Suansing, Advocates decry State’s Attorney’s dismissal of police sexual assault case, Yale Daily News, 2021-05-05
- Ben Lambert, Ex-New Haven cop accused of coercing women into sex seeks reinstatement, New Haven Register, 2021-04-27
- Ex-New Haven officer 1st to be barred for general misconduct, New Haven Register, 2021-11-26