Hunter Brittain (2021)
On June 23, 2021, Lonoke County Arkansas Sheriff's Office Sergeant Michael Davis stopped a pickup truck being driven by Brittain. Brittain exited the truck and attempted to retrieve something from the back of the pickup. Conflicting testimony surrounds any commands that Davis gave Brittain. Davis shot Brittain, who died later at a local hospital.
Davis did not activate his body camera until after the shooting.
In July 2021, Davis was dismissed from the department, because he did not turn on his body camera until after the incident.
On September 17, 2021, Davis was charged with felony manslaughter, which carries a sentence of three to ten years in jail if convicted.
On November 15, 2021, Davis pleaded not guilty to the charge of felony manslaughter.
On March 3, 2022, a judge sealed the case, "in the interest of justice".
On March 18, 2022, Davis was convicted of misdemeanor negligent homicide and sentenced to the maximum of a one-year jail sentence and a $1,000 fine. With a misdemeanor conviction, Davis would be eligible to work in law enforcement. Davis filed an appeal.
On April 1, 2022, body-worn camera video was released.
Statement by Sheriff John Staley 2021-06-24
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Affidavit for Warrant of Arrest, Circuit Court of Lonoke County Arkansas,
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Tiziana Piatos, Ex-Deputy Charged With Manslaughter After Killing Teenager Out In Bail, South Arkansas Sun, 2021-09-22
- ↑ Former Arkansas deputy pleads not guilty in fatal shooting of Hunter Brittain, THV 11, 2021-11-15
- ↑ Marine Glisovic, Lonoke Co. judge seals case against former deputy accused of fatally shooting 17-year-old, KATV, 2022-03-03
- ↑ Teresa Moss, Ex-Lonoke County deputy gets year in jail, $1,000 fine for shooting death of Hunter Brittain, Arkansas Online, 2022-03-19
- ↑ Deputy's bodycam footage following shooting of Hunter Brittain, Arkansas Online, 2022-04-01
Recent articles: Larry McDonald Jr., Bradley Mouser, Samuel Fuller, Austin Heiselman (2023), Beri Dave (2020)