Nicholas Crouch (2021)
On September 21, 2021, Crouch ran from police as they pursued him for a series of burglaries. After he was caught, Van Zandt County Texas Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Steven "Craig" Shelton repeatedly struck a handcuffed and compliant Crouch in the face, causing bodily injury.
On January 19, 2022, the Texas Rangers opened an investigation into Shelton's actions.
In March 2022, Hendrix, Wood, and Snell were indicted for giving a false statement to a peace officer during the investigation. Each could face up to six months in jail on the misdemeanor charge.
On March 31, 2022, Shelton surrendered his license and entered a pre-trial intervention contract.
On April 29, 2022, Hendrix resigned.
On May 20, 2022, the charges against Hendrix, Wood, and Snell were dismissed. The District Attorney stated that the "interest of justice would be best served by protecting those future cases on behalf of victims and agreeing to dismiss the charges in exchange for resignation from the Van Zandt County Sheriff's Office".
On July 1, 2022, federal charges were filed.
On July 13, 2022, Snell pleaded guilty to a federal felony charge of obstruction of justice. If the plea is accepted, Snell will be sentenced to one year of probation.
On May 31, 2023, Shelton was sentenced to 44 months in prison.
- Simone Carter, In East Texas, Van Zandt County Sheriff Resigns After Deputy Punches Handcuffed Man, Dallas Observer, 2022-05-04
- Angela Bonilla, Former Texas Chief Deputy pleads guilty federal civil rights offense, KWTX, 2022-07-07
- Reagan Roy, Former Van Zandt County chief deputy Craig Shelton avoids prosecution for excessive force by surrendering peace office license, CBS 19, 2022-03-31
- East Texas sheriff to resign following indictment, Spectrum News, 2022-04-30
- Jeff Wright, Texas Rangers investigating excessive force allegation against Van Zandt County Sheriff’s Office, DA confirms, KLTV, 2022-01-19
- Van Zandt County Sheriff to Resign Following Arrest, Indictment, NBC DFW, 2022-04-29
- Jeff Wright, Former chief deputy avoids excessive force prosecution through deal with Van Zandt County DA, KTRE, 2022-03-31
- Zak Wellerman, Officials dismiss charges against former Van Zandt County sheriff, his deputies, CBS19, 2022-07-06
- Former Texas Chief Deputy Pleads Guilty to Federal Civil Rights Offense for Assaulting Detainee, U.S. Department of Justice, 2022-07-06
- Jeff Awtrey, Former Van Zandt County chief deputy to plead guilty to federal charge, KLTV, 2022-07-05
- Darby Good, Second former Van Zandt County sergeant pleads guilty to federal felony, KETK, 2022-07-13
- Former Texas Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Sentenced for Using Excessive Force, U.S. Department of Justice, 2023-05-31