|Agency||Park County Colorado Sheriff's Office|
|Agency||Idaho Springs Colorado Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired October 2, 2017. Ended July 25, 2021.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2013 Arrest of Richard Kahn
On April 28, 2013, Hanning and Deputy Tyson Kinzle responded to a trespassing complaint about Kahn. Kahn claimed that Hanning entered his home without permission, didn't identify himself, and didn't state his reason for being there. The 71-year-old Kahn claimed that Hanning threw him to the ground, resulting in a broken rib.
Hanning's version differs considerably, stating that he met Kahn outside and chased Kahn into the house, where a struggle occurred and Hanning kneed Kahn in the mid-section causing him to fall to the ground.
Kahn was arrested and criminal charges were filed against him.
An internal investigation concluded that the use of force was legal, but that the deputies needed more training around tactics and less-than-lethal tools.
2021 Arrest of Michael Clark
On May 30, 2021, Hanning and Officer Ellie Summers responded to a report that 75-year-old Clark had assaulted a neighbor over a noise complaint. The officers went to Clark's apartment and were discussing the incident when Hanning fired a taser at Clark. The incident was recorded on body-worn cameras from both officers.
On July 25, 2021, Hanning was fired by the department.
On July 21, 2021, Hanning was charged with third-degree assault.
On July 26, 2021, Clark filed a Federal civil rights lawsuit against both officers and the department, alleging the use of excessive force in violation of the Fourth Amendment and other claims. Officer Richard Sonnenberg was also named for failing to properly train the officers and to allow the officers to continue working, despite histories of complaints against them.
On December 8, 2021, Hanning pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor third-degree assault charge, which carries a maximum sentence of 18 months in prison and a $100,000 fine. Hanning also resigned his police certification, making him ineligible to work as law enforcement officer in the state. 
- Press Release, Idaho Springs Police Department, 2021-07-08
- Elise Schmelzer, Former Idaho Springs police officer pleads guilty to misdemeanor for Tasing unarmed 75-year-old, Denver Post, 2021-12-09
- Nicholas Hanning A Idaho Springs Police Department, govSalaries
- Investigative Report and Findings, Park county Sheriff's Office
- Body camera footage shows fired Idaho Springs officer Tase 75-year-old man, The Denver Post, 2021-07-22
- Kieran Nicholson, Idaho Springs police officer charged with assault is fired by the department, Denver Post, 2021-07-17
- Elise Schmelzer, Fired Colorado officer faces federal lawsuit for using Taser on 75-year-old, placing knee on neck, Denver Post, 2021-07-26
- Clark v Idaho Springs, U.S. District Court, 2021-07-26