|Agency||Hunt County Texas Sheriff's Office|
|Dates of Service||November 2019 - April 2020|
|Last Known Status||Separated|
|Agency||Wolfe City Texas Police Department|
|Dates of Service||April 14, 2020 - October 8, 2020|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2020 Death of Jonathan Price
On October 3, 2020, Lucas was called to an altercation at a convenience store. Before Lucas arrived, Price had broken up the fight. Lucas believed Price was intoxicated and tried to arrest him. Price claimed, "I can't be detained".
Lucas grabbed at Price's arm, but was unable to control him. Lucas threatened to use his Taser, and tased Price without full success. Lucas claimed that Price reached for the Taser in a threatening manner, prompting Lucas to shoot him.
Price was taken to the hospital, where he died.
The incident was captured on Lucas' body-worn camera..
By October 4, 2020, Lucas was placed on administrative leave.
On October 5, 2020, the Texas Rangers' investigator recommended that Lucas be charged with murder, saying the shooting was "not justifiable force".
On October 8, 2020, Lucas was terminated "for his egregious violation of the City's and police department's policies".
The Texas Rangers' investigation called the shooting "not objectively reasonable".
Lucas was charged with first-degree felony murder and faces between five and 99 years in prison.
Lucas pleaded not guilty.
On September 2, 2022, Price's mother filed a lawsuit against Lucas and the city, alleging wrongful death and violations of Price's Fourth Amendment rights and state laws.
On September 22, 2022, a jury found Lucas not guilty of murder.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Kevin Reece, Here's what we know about Wolfe City officer Shaun Lucas, WFAA, 2020-10-06
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Michael Murney, In Small-Town North Texas, a White Cop Will Go On Trial for Fatally Shooting a Black Man, Dallas Observer, 2021-09-20
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Patrick Strickland, In Hunt County, Former Police Officer Goes on Trial for Killing Jonathan Price in October 2020, Dallas Observer, 2022-09-14
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Eline de Bruijn, Entire interaction between Jonathan Price, Officer Shaun Lucas captured by body camera, affidavit says, WFAA, 2020-10-07
- ↑ 'Completely unjustifiable': Officer faces murder charge in shooting of Jonathan Price, WFAA, 2020-10-05
- ↑ Incident Information, City of Wolfe City, Texas, 2020-10-14
- ↑ Marcella Louis v Shaun Lewis, et al, U.S. District Court, 2022-09-02
- ↑ Jobin Panicker, Former Wolfe City police officer found not guilty of murder in shooting death of man in 2020, WFAA, 2022-09-22
Recent articles: Larry McDonald Jr., Bradley Mouser, Samuel Fuller, Austin Heiselman (2023), Beri Dave (2020)