Timothy Johnson (2023)
On February 22, 2023, Johnson stole some merchandise from a store at a shopping mall. The store called the Fairfax County Virginia Police Department and Sergeant Wesley Shifflett responded. Shifflett chased Johnson through a parking garage, down the street, and into a wooded area. Johnson refused orders to get on the ground. Shifflett claimed that he saw Johnson reaching for his waistband, and he and Officer James Sadler fired at Johnson.
Additional officers rendered aid to Johnson.
Shifflett waited for permission to turn off his body-worn camera.
Johnson was struck once in the chest, and died at the hospital.
Sadler was placed on restricted duty.
On March 23, 2023, Shifflett was fired as his actions showed "a failure to live up to the expectations of our agency, in particular use of force policies".
On April 17, 2023, a grand jury declined to indict Shifflett in Johnson's death.
In April 2023, the Fairfax Commonwealth's Attorney requested a special grand jury review the case. Unlike during a regular grand jury, prosecutors at a special grand jury can call witnesses and influence the information that is being presented to the jurors.
On October 12, 2023, a special grand jury indicted Shifflett on felony charges for involuntary manslaughter and reckless discharge of a weapon.
- Fairfax County Police Department Press Conference, 2023-03-23
- Fairfax County Police Department Analyzed Video, 2023-03-23
- Officer Shifflett's Raw Body-Worn Camera Footage, (shown above), 2023-02-24
- Full BWC Release, Fairfax County Police Department, 2023-02-24
- BWC Release Video, Fairfax County Police Department, 2023-03-23
- Rashard Rose, Virginia officer fired after killing an unarmed man suspected of shoplifting, CNN, 2023-03-24
- Matthew Barakat, Police chief fires officer, releases video of shooting death, AP News, 2023-03-23
- Grand jury declines to indict former Fairfax County officer in fatal Tysons Corner shooting, FOX 5, 2023-04-17
- Colleen Grablick, Special Grand Jury Called For Fairfax Officer Who Fatally Shot Man Accused Of Stealing Sunglasses, DCist, 2023-04-26
- Colleen Grablick, Fairfax County Police Officer Indicted For Killing Man Outside Tysons Mall, DCist, 2023-10-13