|Agency||Chesapeake Virginia Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired in February 2007.|
|Last Known Status||Resigned.|
2022 Child Pornography Arrest
In early 2022, the department received a complaint that Newton was taking indecent liberties with a child in his care. An investigation found that Newton was in possession of images including pornography depicting children under one year old and bestiality.
On November 9, 2022, a search warrant was issued for Newton's phone.
On November 15, 2022, Newton was arrested on 24 felony child pornography charges.
Newton was suspended without pay.
On October 24, 2023, Newton pleaded guilty to 38 felony child pornography charges. Newton faces up to 360 years in prison.
- Jimmy LaRoue, Chesapeake Police officer arrested, faces child porn charges, WAVY, 2022-11-15
- Timothy Newton M, Police Officer Senior, City of Chesapeake, govSalaries
- Kelsey Jones, Former Chesapeake officer pleads guilty to 38 felony counts related to child porn, WTKR, 2023-10-24
- Penny Kmitt, 24 images, videos of child pornography found on Chesapeake Police officer's cell phone, WTKR, 2022-11-16
- Jane Alvarez-Wertz, Chesapeake officer denied bond, disturbing details of case revealed in court, WRIC, 2022-11-18
- Peter Barker, Court Documents: Chesapeake Police Officer had pornographic images of young children on the phone, LocalToday, 2022-11-16