|Agency||Fairmount Heights Maryland Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired December 20, 2017. Moved to part time in July 2019. Resigned November 23, 2019.|
|Last Known Status||Resigned|
2019 Sexual Assault
On September 6, 2019, Vanderpool was on duty when he conducted a traffic stop of a woman driving by herself. The driver was handcuffed, her car impounded, and she was taken to the police department.
Vanderpool told the driver that he would release her if she had sex with him. The driver complied. After the assault, Vanderpool issued several citations and took the driver to retrieve her car from the the impound lot.
The department requested that the Prince George's County Maryland Police Department investigate after they received a question "concerning a traffic stop procedure".
On December 3, 2019, Vanderpool was arrested on charges of first degree rape, second degree rape, second degree assault, and related charges. He was being held without bond.
On January 22, 2020, Vanderpool was indicted and charged with transfer of HIV to another, first and second degree rape, second degree assault, fourth degree sex act, reckless endangerment, and several counts of misconduct in office.
On September 8, 2021, a federal grand jury indicted Vanderpool for deprivation of civil rights under color of law, including kidnapping, use of a firearm, aggravated sexual abuse, and attempted aggravated sexual abuse of the victim. If convicted, Vanderpool faces a maximum sentence of life in federal prison.
Before the trial, the state dropped the charges of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment.
In January, 2023, a judge acquitted Vanderpool on the first-degree rape charge, and a jury convicted him on a misdemeanor count of sexual act with a person in custody. Vanderpool faces a maximum sentence of three years.
On February 14, 2023, Vanderpool was given the maximum sentence of three years, with credit for time served.
- PGPD Arrests Former Part-Time Fairmount Heights Police Officer for Rape, PGPD News, 2019-12-03
- Dan Taylor, Former Fairmount Heights Officer Raped Woman After Stop: PGPD, Patch.com, 2019-12-03
- Jonathan Franklin, Former Fairmount Heights officer faces possible life sentence after federal indictment, WUSA 9, 2020-01-22
- Former Fairmount Heights Police Officer Indicted for 1st Degree Rape and Attempting to Transmit HIV, Prince George's County State Attorney's Office, 2020-01-22
- Former Fairmount Heights Police Officer Facing Federal Civil Rights Indictment for Allegedly Sexually Assaulting a Woman After a Traffic Stop, U.S. Attorney's Office District of Maryland, 2021-09-09
- United States v Vanderpool Motion to Release, U.S. District Court, 2023-02-16