|Agency||Fargo North Dakota Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2011.|
|Last Known Status||Administrative Leave|
2019 Life Saving Award
On May 13, 2019, O'Brien and Officer David Cochran responded to a medical emergency. O'Brien and civilians administered CPR while Cochran used an AED. The patient regained a pulse and could breathe on his own. On July 30, 2019, O'Brien and Cochran were awarded the department's Life Saving Award.
O'Brien's personnel file showed both "minor issues and praise".
2022 Death of Shane Netterville
On July 8, 2022, officers were called to a report of a person slumped over in a vehicle with a bullet hole in the windshield. O'Brien and two other responding officers found the van parked in a garage, with three people inside. The driver failed to fully comply with police commands, started the vehicle, and drove off. O'Brien fired, striking the driver, Netterville.
Netterville died at a local hospital
O'Brien was placed on administrative leave, pending an investigation.
On August 28, 2022, the Attorney General ruled that O'Brien acted lawfully and would not face criminal charges as the actions were meant to protect himself, officers around him, and the public.
On September 8, 2022, the police department stated that O'Brien did not violate any use of force policies during the incident.
On November 17, 2022, the department released their investigative report.
On December 9, 2022, the Fargo Police Advisory and Oversight Board decided it would not recommend that the city conduct an independent investigation of the shooting.
- April Baumgarten, Fargo officer justified in shooting man who drove van toward police, attorney general says, INFORUM, 2022-08-29
- Adam O'Brien C, City of Fargo, govSalaries
- David Olson, UPDATE: Jamestown man dies after he's shot by Fargo police officer, INFORUM, 2022-07-08
- Life Saving Award, Fargo Police Department, 2019-07-30
- Aaron Walling, FPD's Adam O'Brien personnel file shows minor issues and praise, Valley News Live, 2022-07-22
- Video 1 (in-vehicle), Fargo City News Room, 2022-08-29
- Video 2 O'Brien's BWC, Fargo City News Room, 2022-08-29
- Video 3 BWC, Fargo City News Room, 2022-08-29
- Video 4 BWC, Fargo City News Room, 2022-08-29
- The Fargo Police Department and North Dakota Attorney General's Joint News Conference, The City of Fargo, 2022-08-29
- Melissa Van Der Stad, Fargo police say officer didn't violate policies in fatal shooting, INFORUM, 2022-09-08
- The Fargo Police Department Releases Independent Criminal Investigation Report into Critical Incident on Friday, July 8, Fargo ND Police Department, 2022-11-17
- Ryan Janke, Advisory board will not recommend independent investigation of Netterville shooting, KFGO, 2022-12-09