Clear Creek County Colorado Sheriff's Office
|Dates of Service||Ended November 23, 2022|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2019 Assault of Manuel Camacho
On May 15, 2019, Camacho was in jail awaiting a court appearance. Buen, with deputies Jacob Cordova and Nick Dibiasi, attempted to shackle Camacho, using force including choking and kneeling on Camacho's back.
Video of the incident was captured by a surveillance camera.
On December 17, 2020, Camacho sued the deputies, alleging violations of the Eighth Amendment's prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment, and a claim against the sheriff's office for failing to train its employees.
On November 16, 2023, the county settled the lawsuit for $15,000.
2022 Death of Christian Glass
On November 23, 2022, a grand jury charged Buen with second degree murder, official misconduct, and reckless endangerment.
On November 23, 2022, Buen was fired.
On May 23, 2023, the family's claim was settled for $19 million, to be paid by the state and three agencies. The Idaho Springs Colorado Police Chief acknowledged "that the lack of judgment, poor tactics, and lack of clear command structure resulted in the unnecessary death of Christian Glass". The Clear Creek County Colorado Sheriff gave his "deepest apologies" and acknowledged "that his officers failed to meet expectations" during the incident.
- Statement From the Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office Termination of Deputies following criminal indictment, Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office, 2022-11-23
- Andrew Buen, Deputy Sheriff, Clear Creek County, govSalaries
- Camacho v. Cordova, U.S. District Court, 2021-11-23
- Michael Karlik, Judge allows excessive force claim to go forward against Clear Creek sheriff's deputies, Colorado Politics, 2021-11-29
- Former Clear Creek deputy has history of aggression before death of Christian Glass, 9 News, 2022-12-14
- Steve Staeger, Clear Creek County settles excessive lawsuit involving now fired deputy, 9 News, 2023-02-10
- Jeremy Harlan, 2 Colorado deputies have been fired and indicted for the fatal shooting of a 22-year-old armed with a knife who called 911 for help, WLFI, 2022-11-24
- Allison Sherry, Christian Glass family to receive largest known police settlement in Colorado history, CPR News, 2023-05-23
- $19 Million Settlement Reached in Christian Glass Civil Rights Case, Rathod Mohamedbhai LLC, 2023-05-23