|Agency||Waukegan Illinois Police Department|
|Dates of Service||2015 - October 2020.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2019 Arrest of Angel Salgado
In September 2019, Salgado claimed that he was attending a family baptism party when Salinas stopped, drew his gun, threatened Salgado, and tased him. Salgado resisted what he felt was an unlawful arrest until Salinas and other offers were able to handcuff him. Salgado claims that Salinas struck him in the face with the butt of his weapon after he was handcuffed.
Salinas clams that Salgado flagged him down and "kept yelling and advancing in a menacing manner", causing his reactions.
Salgado was charged with resisting arrest.
The incident was captured on Salinas' body-worn camera.
Salinas was not disciplined for the incident.
On July 1, 2020, Salgado pleaded guilty to resisting arrest.
On August 28, 2020, Salgado filed a lawsuit, claiming assault, battery, false arrest, and use of excessive force.
On July 27, 2022, the case was dismissed after the parties resolved the case.
2020 Death of Marcellis Stinnette
On October 20, 2020, Officer James Keating stopped a car containing Stinnette and his girlfriend. After the first officer announced that Stinnette would be arrested on a warrant, the girlfriend drove off, and led officers on a chase before crashing. The girlfriend attempted to reverse the vehicle, and Salinas fired at her even though he was not in the path of the vehicle. The driver was injured, and Stinnette was killed.
Parts of the incident were caught on body-worn cameras, in-vehicle cameras, and city surveillance cameras. Salinas did not activate his body-worn camera until after the shooting.
By October 23, 2020, Salinas was fired for "multiple policy and procedure violations".
On October 28, 2020, the driver filed a lawsuit, claiming Salinas used excessive force.
On September 22, 2022, Salinas was charged with second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, and felony counts of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm and official misconduct. The murder charge carried a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
- ↑ New Hires, Wayne Motley Waukegan Mayor, 2015-09-28
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Waukegan Police Officer Who Fatally Shot Teen Fired For 'Multiple Policy And Procedure Violations', CBS News, 2020-10-23
- ↑ Dante Salinas A, Waukegan Police Department, govSalaries
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Salgado v City of Waukegan, U.S. District Court, 2022-07-27
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Now-Fired Waukegan Police Officer Dante Salinas, Who Shot And Killed Marcellis Stinnette, Was Never Disciplined In Earlier Disputed Use-Of-Force Incident, CBS News, 2020-11-06
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Ex-Illinois cop charged in 2020 fatal shooting of Black man, WSLS, 2022-09-22
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Officer Who Fired Shots That Killed Man And Injured Woman In Waukegan Identified As Dante Salinas; He Has Been In Trouble Before, CBS News, 2020-10-30
- ↑ Police dashcam footage released in Waukegan fatal shooting of Marcellis Stinnette, Chicago Sun-Times, 2020-10-28
- ↑ Waukegan police release police shooting video, Daily Herald, 2020-10-28
Recent articles: Anthony Nigro, Curtis Tyra, Wallace Simmons, Derick Chandler, Scott Birney