|Agency||Franklin Township (Gloucester) New Jersey Police Department|
|Rank||Corporal (2016), Sergeant|
|Last Known Status||Active|
2021 Death of Roy Jackel
On April 5, 2021, Jernegan responded to a vehicle crash. Jackel emerged from the woods, stole an empty police vehicle, and led officers on a brief pursuit.
Jackel exited the vehicle, ran at officers with his hands behind his back, and ignored commands to show his hands. As Jackel approached, Jernegan shot.
Officers provided medical care to Jackel until emergency medical services arrived. Jackel died at the scene.
An investigation was opened by the New Jersey Attorney General's office, who investigate all incidents where a person dies during an encounter with a police officer.
On September 26, 2022, a New Jersey grand jury found that Jernegan was justified in shooting Jackel and declined to bring criminal charges against him.
- Resolution promoting David Jernegan, Township of Franklin, 2016-10-19
- Kevin Shea, Man fatally shot by N.J. cop stole cruiser, ran toward police, AG says, nj.com, 2021-04-28
- David Jernegan A, Franklin Township (Gloucester), govSalaries
- Attorney General's Office Releases Video Footage of Fatal Officer-Involved Shooting in Buena Vista], New Jersey Attorney General, 2021-04-27
- Jackel - Recordings, New Jersey Attorney General, 2021-04-26
- Chris Sheldon, Authorities identify man fatally shot by cop after allegedly stealing police car, nj.com, 2021-04-07
- Chris Sheldon, Officer justified in shooting man who stole cop car and ran toward police, jury finds, nj.com, 2022-09-27