|Agency||Hartford Vermont Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2009.|
|Last Known Status||Administrative leave.|
2020 Drug Team of the Year
Clifford and his K9 partner Dozer were recognized by the Vermont Police K9 Association as the 2020 Drug Team of the Year for their work in detecting drugs in Hartford and surrounding communities.
2011 Arrest of Darrek Daoust
On June 5, 2011, Clifford and another officer responded to a solo vehicle crash. The vehicle was empty, and the officers found empty champagne bottles inside the van and empty beer bottles nearby. They identified Daoust as the owner of the vehicle, and proceeded to his house. Daoust claimed that he had fallen asleep while driving, and refused to exit his house. The officers entered the house and removed Daoust, who resisted. Clifford kneed Daoust, and struck him several times with a flashlight.
In Vermont, it is illegal to resist an arrest. The District Attorney found that the force applied was reasonable and consistent with department policy.
In September 2017, Clifford intervened after seeing another officer slap a restrained detainee and offer to fight him.
2021 Death of Joseph Howard
Clifford was placed on administrative leave during the investigation.
Investigators found the shooting to be lawful because Clifford believed he was in imminent danger of being killed.
- Authorities identify man fatally shot by Hartford police officer, NBC 5, 2021-08-06
- Announcement, Hartford Vermont Police Department Facebook, 2020-05-01
- Vermont Attorney General says Hartford police didn’t use excessive force in two arrests, VT Digger, 2012-01-15
- Body cam video shows Hartford cop slap detainee in September incident, VT Digger, 2018-08-20
- Hartford police officer won’t be prosecuted in fatal shooting, WCAX, 2021-11-15