Lawton Oklahoma Police Department
|Dates of Service||2017 - January 7, 2022|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2021 Death of Zonterious Johnson
On January 17, 2021, several officers were performing an inspection inside a local bar when multiple gunshots were fired outside. When officers went outside, they saw Johnson exchanging gunfire with another person. Ronan identified himself as a police officer, ordered Johnson to stop, and pursued him when he fled.
Ronan entered an alleyway and saw Johnson holding a gun. When Johnson "produced the barrel of the weapon", Ronan shot him.
Officers rendered aid. Johnson died at the hospital.
The incident was captured by Ronan's body-worn camera.
The shooting investigation was turned over to the Oklahoma State Bureau Of Investigation (OSBI).
In April 2021, the District Attorney cleared Ronan of wrongdoing.
2021 Death of Quadry Sanders
On December 6, 2021, Ronan was placed on administrative leave.
On January 7, 2022, after the department completed their own internal investigation, Ronan was fired.
On May 6, 2022, the District Attorney determined that "the shooting of Quadry Sanders was not justified" and charged Ronan with first-degree manslaughter.
- ↑ 2017 Annual Report, Lawton Police Department, 2017
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Haley Wilson, UPDATE: Officers charged in Dec. shooting, statements and body cam released by city officials, KSWO, 2022-05-06
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Jarred Burk, UPDATE: Body camera video of officer involved shooting released, KSWO, 2021-04-19
- ↑ Statement, Lawton Police Chief, 2021-12-06
- ↑ Julian Mark, Former Okla. police officers charged after fatally shooting Black man, Washington Post, 2022-05-09
Recent articles: Scott Birney, Christopher Shields, Adam Nguyen, Anna Perez, Marquis Fitzgerald