Rishod Gore (2020)
On April 19, 2020, Gore recorded several Providence Rhode Island Police Department officers after they had arrested his friend, and commented that they "would see what happens next" with the footage. Detective Mark Hubbard thought the comment was threatening. Sergeant Joseph Hanley and officers Abraham Lugo and Vincent Lopez pulled Gore from a car, took him to the ground, and handcuffed him.
Hanley punched and kicked Gore, knelt on his neck, and stepped on his leg.
Hanley called Gore an "animal" and a "savage".
Gore was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
The charges against Gore were dropped.
On April 23, 2020, Hanley was placed on paid suspension.
On May 19, 2020, Hanley was charged with misdemeanor simple assault and faces a maximum sentence of one year in prison.
On July 7, 2020, Hanley pleaded not guilty.
On October 4, 2020, Hanley was placed on unpaid suspension. The city claims that Hanley cannot be fired until his criminal case is resolved.
On March 18, 2021, a judge found Hanley guilty of misdemeanor assault and sentenced him to one year of probation and completion of five anger management classes.
Hanley was granted a retrial in front of a jury.
On May 24, 2022, Hanley rejected a plea deal offer of one year of probation.
Hanley faces up to one year in prison if convicted at a jury trial.
Gore filed a civil lawsuit, which the city settled for $50,000.
The incident was captured on multiple officers' body-worn cameras. Hanley's camera was not recording. A witness recorded on their cell phone.
On November 10, 2020, the video was released.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Steph Machado, Providence Police Sgt. Hanley found guilty of assault, sentenced to probation, WPRI, 2021-03-18
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Steph Machado, Rishod Gore: Sgt. Hanley kicked me, crushed my face into concrete, WPRI, 2021-02-25
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Steph Machado, Providence Sgt. Hanley set to stand trial after rejecting plea deal, WPRI, 2022-05-24
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Steph Machado, Video of alleged assault by Providence sergeant released despite objections, WPRI, 2020-11-11
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Hanley v Pare Opinion, Superior Court, 2021-02-02
- ↑ State v Hanley Pre-trial Memo, District Court, 2021-02-01
- ↑ Steph Machado, ‘It was horrifying’: First witnesses testify in trial of Providence sergeant, WPRI, 2021-02-10
Recent articles: Scott Birney, Christopher Shields, Adam Nguyen, Anna Perez, Marquis Fitzgerald