Smithville Ohio Police Department
|Dates of Service||September 15, 2011 - January 2, 2012|
|Last Known Status||Resigned.|
Wayne County Ohio Sheriff's Office
|Dates of Service||January 2, 2012 - April 16, 2013.|
|Last Known Status||Separated|
Canton Ohio Police Department
|Dates of Service||Hired April 19, 2013.|
|Last Known Status||Active|
Huber received awards for saving the life of a drug overdose victim, preventing a woman from throwing her son out of a window, and foiling an armed robbery.
Huber won a Lifesaver Award and two Excellent Police Duty awards after three other incidents.
2017 Service Award
Huber was issued a service award after the 2017 shooting incident described below. 
On July 12, 2017, Huber and another officer made contact with a group of men who were walking in the street. One of the men ran away and was seen carrying a handgun. During a pursuit, the man raised the gun at Huber, prompting the officer to shoot.
Huber administered first aid until paramedics arrived.
Huber was exonerated by an internal investigation 
A grand jury determined the shooting to be legally justified.
2019 Policy Violation
In April 2019, Huber left evidence in his cruiser after an arrest.
Huber received a "letter of training".
2019 Traffic Stop
In October 2019, Huber attempted to stop a man for a traffic violation. The man refused to stop, and Huber pulled in front of the vehicle and ordered the man to exit his vehicle at gunpoint. The man refused, and Huber removed the man from the vehicle and struggled to control him.
Huber was advised to not block vehicles in that manner, which was only to be used for felony suspects.
2020 Policy Violation
In September 2020, Huber failed to report an illness in a timely manner.
Huber received a "letter of counseling".
2021 Use of Force
No details were reported.
An internal investigation showed that Huber's actions were within policy.
2021 Vehicle Accident
In May 2021, Huber struck a guardrail with his cruiser.
Huber received a "letter of counseling".
2022 Death of James Williams
On January 1, 2022, Huber was investigating shots fired in a neighborhood. Williams was in his backyard, firing guns into the air. Without identifying himself or giving any commands, Huber shot Williams through a fence, killing him.
Huber claimed he was in fear for his safety from the continued weapons fire.
The incident was captured on Huber's body-worn camera.
On January 1, 2022, Huber was placed on paid administrative leave.
On January 21, 2022, the state's Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI) interviewed Huber.
On March 15, 2022, Williams' family filed a lawsuit against Huber and the city, alleging violations of Williams' rights under the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments, and state law.
On May 7, 2022, the BCI released their report on the incident.
The County Prosecutor presented a range of possible charges to a grand jury.
On September 7, 2022, a Stark County grand jury chose not to indict Huber on criminal charges.
On October 26, 2022, the department released the results of their investigation, which found that "the officer acted within Departmental Use of Force policies" and that Huber would not be disciplined.
On December 8, 2022, Williams' widow - the plaintiff in the civil lawsuit - fired her lawyers.
In January 2023, a judge dismissed the family's lawsuit after the plaintiff failed to hire new lawyers. The case can be re-filed.
On March 28, 2023, Williams' widow refiled her lawsuit against the city and the officers involved.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Prosecutor Summary, Ohio Attorney General, 2022-05-07
- ↑ Dispatch changes ahead for Smithville; and price appears to be going up, The Daily Record, 2011-12-22
- ↑ Robert Huber A, Police Officer, City of Canton, govSalaries
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 Benjamin Duer, Canton releases unredacted report from the deadly police shooting, Canton Repository, 2022-02-10
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Julia Bingel, No discipline for Canton police officer involved in New Year’s Day shooting, Cleveland 19, 2022-10-26
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Tyler Carey, Grand jury declines to indict Canton officer who fatally shot man on New Year's Day, WKYC, 2022-09-07
- ↑ Lori Steineck, Canton police officer slated to be hired by Jackson Township prior to fatal shooting, Canton Repository, 2022-02-15
- ↑ Officer Involved Officer Interview, Bureau of Criminal Investigations, 2022-01-21
- ↑ Williams et al v City of Canton, et al, U.S. District Court, 2022-03-15
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Amy Knapp, Civil suit against Canton, officer who shot and killed James Williams dismissed, Canton Repository, 2023-01-17
- ↑ Megan McSweeney, Widow of Canton man gunned down by police refiles $1M wrongful death lawsuit, 19 News, 2023-03-29
Recent articles: Anthony Nigro, Curtis Tyra, Wallace Simmons, Derick Chandler, Scott Birney